Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question darts on the microwave bowl cozy

Hi, all!

Is there a rule of thumb for sewing darts? I am making microwave bowl cozies, and wondered. As a non-sewer (or a sewer of quilts and not knowing clothing rules), I wondered if there was a rule of thumb. I have a 13 1/2" bowl. I made one with a 1" side and 3" length dart. I felt it was still too "flat". Do I need to go out to 1 1/2" or go in and make the dart smaller? My brain isn't working!

Thanks
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: darts on the microwave bowl cozy

I've only made bowl cozies with the 10" squares.

It sounds like you're using a bigger piece of fabric to start with- I'd get some scraps, and try out larger darts. I have a feeling you'll want over 2" at the top, 3" deep.

One thing I did was cut a heavy piece of cardboard to make a template of the dart on the fold. Then when you fold the fabric, mark the sew line on the batting. Stitching was easy at that point.

Have fun!

PS There are lots of tutorials for bowl cozies on You Tube.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this site; measurements are given for larger bowls. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/micr...olders-2977955
    I have a template (cardboard) for 10" that I made. Dart areas are cut out, so it's a simple trace of the stitching lines. Saves a lot of time.
    Remember....no insulbrite in the cozie only cotton batting - Wrap and Zap from Walmart.
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; December 13th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Try pinching it at the darts with your fingers or pin it, until it looks like you want it to, and see how much more you’ve taken it in. This should allow you to adjust your dart measurements for another try.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make tons of bowl cozies. I've probably made 100 in the last few months. I have 6 to make this weekend. What does your template look like? I can't believe I never thought to do that...