Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question HELP!! Viking Designer I

I have an old Husqvarna Viking Designer I embroidery sewing machine that I "inherited" from my Mom, along with a Dell Inspiron laptop that can write to 3.5" floppy discs. I want to make labels that have 3 lines of text, and so far I've managed to embroider one line, but I cannot figure out how to make lines 2 and 3 - i.e. I can't figure out where the "carriage return" is. I've tried following the instructions in the manual, I've searched the internet for tutorials, and asked my Mom for help over the phone, but I'm still stuck. Please, is there anyone out there who can tell me how to make a label with three lines of text? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HELP!! Viking Designer I

Did you check YouTube, they have a couple. One is close to an hour long. Maybe you will find something there

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+designer+i+

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On my Janome 15000, I can’t write lines of text using the idea of a carriage return. I have to write one line and save it, then write the second line, save it, write the third line, save it, until my label is complete. It is all designed and positioned line by line on the edit screen. My machine saves to a USB thumb drive. I am not familiar with your machine but maybe it works similar to mine. i’ve Done some pretty involved labels and embroideries using this method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to explain because of the software differences.. but with my Designer 1... look for something in the toolbar that says "Merge"... that may help a bit..
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

Hopes it's not too late to give you a hand?! I make embroidered quilt labels too - on a different brand of machine. I don't have a carriage return, so I make three separate lines of text. Here's what I do:

If I'm using my 4"x4" hoop: I have an align to top, center and bottom selection, and center the text horizontally. I key in my first line, align to top. After it's done, I type in the second line, align center. Third line, align to bottom. This is usually only big enough for a "for" name, the year and the "by" line.

If I'm using my 6"x10" (which is how I usually do it, it gives me space for "Especially made for" line, then a "for" name, year, and "by") I have what I call a "nudge" arrow key. Again, I have to key in each line separately, but then I do 12 "nudges" to the next line starting point, sew, the nudge down again, etc... I also have more options this way - curve the text: I'll curve top and bottom lines which sort of makes a circle around the "for" name and year - which I do just straight across.

I embroider thru the backing and batting, but not the front. I also use different fonts, the "Especially" and "By" lines in cursive, and the "To" and year in a print font.

Try a few practice labels with some scraps and see what works best for you!!! Staple your scrap labels into a notebook, and write down the font size, etc... so you have a reference for next time.

Hope this helps?!
    I've learned so much from my mistakes,
    I think I'll make some more!

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post