Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft Fair

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craft Fair

I have to say I am happy the 2 Craft Fair are done for the year. I need the rest!

I did about what I did last year but I'm disappointed because I had the feeling I would have done more. (Although this is a small local Craft Fair). It was better in some ways but less so in others. Sales seemed to be down for everyone. Another disappointment was that WV Mountaineers came out with a new fabric that was so adorable. WV Christmas. I purchased enough to do 10 bowl cozies a few months ago Unfortunately when I had tried to purchase more of the fabric a month ago it was nowhere to be found on the internet...seemed every place was sold out. I finally found a shop that could send some last Wednesday, not that at that point it would not help me for this Craft Fair but at least I'll be able to do more up. Anyway the cozies sold immediately in the first hour! People kept coming around asking for them but I was then out. Bummer. I did wind up getting 3 orders to complete by Christmas so that was good.

One thing I did do different this year was to feature a section with information about the "other" things I do like custom photo and T-Shirt Quilts/banners, Sewing and Quilting Lessons . That did generate a lot of interest and all but three of my business cards and my information sheets on that were snatched up. I picked up two people for lessons for January on the spot and two people with T-Shirts they wanted to go through that they'd like to have done. I think it would be really nice if I could generate some of the year round sales :-) No one in the area seem to be doing this actively and people seemed genuinely interested, even thanking me for the information sheets. We'll see.

I've decided to also sign up for the High Schools Spring Craft Fair, April 4 which is new so I'm looking for new Spring like projects to start working on. I'm thinking of focusing on Easter, Mothers Day, Father's Day and 4th of July items. Someone put up a tutorial here that was Christmas Tree napkins that were absolutely adorable but I didn't have time to make any. Has anyone seen something for say, Easter Bunny napkins? Anyway any ideas are welcome!!

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Craft Fair

What about rice bags? I attended a craft fair this past weekend and it didn't seem like anyone had them.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

4. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rice bags haven't been a big seller for me. (Over the last 3 yrs I've only sold 3) Initially I had them for $14.50 each and they weren't selling. I did sell one Saturday at $8.50. I'm finding that at least around here the price of rice went up a few times and now it appears that between the rice and fabric. So I'm not sure it's feasible to do anymore :-(

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess you can rest now that these 2 shows are done. It seems to me that your microwave bowls were a hit - which means that you could raise the price slightly. Don't know how much you sell for, but I raised mine by $2. This year and still sold lots. I did have a few micro ones for larger plates and they all sold. You might try that.

Are there lots of kids in the area, maybe reading pillows?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

8. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post

10. Thanks Babs quilts, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Well I guess you can rest now that these 2 shows are done. It seems to me that your microwave bowls were a hit - which means that you could raise the price slightly. Don't know how much you sell for, but I raised mine by $2. This year and still sold lots. I did have a few micro ones for larger plates and they all sold. You might try that.

Are there lots of kids in the area, maybe reading pillows?
    Suzanne, I've been selling them for $8.50 each or 2 for $15.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

For Easter I've done some small lined bags with a nylon or strip-pieced handle. They are small so the kids can carry their toys in the car, use it for Easter egg hunts, or some of the girls even acted like they were purses. Even the boy colors/patterns were popular with parents that wanted their kid's toys corralled in the car instead of all over the floor. A selling point when someone looked at them was when I'd explain my nephews were limited to bringing only toys that fit in the bag into the car (instead of EVERY toy and stuffed animal they owned). I sold them from $10-16 depending on the size, prints, and location.

14. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about using flax seed instead of rice? It might sell better because that's what health places use. I left a link for a rack on your other thread

Lorie

16. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea of doing the school craft fair in April. That could generate some T shirt quilt business for graduating seniors. If you could have one for display or at least photos of some you've done, I think that would help. I've been charging $30/shirt lately. I have done 4 in the past 12 months, each a bit different. You'll have to test your market and see if it can support that price. Congrats on the success, and hopefully you can see an increase in activity for next year.

18. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post