Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Would You Quilt This Top?

Hi! This is the first quilt top I have finished that is larger than baby size. It is a twin size. Do you think it would look best with an all over quilting design? Or do more of a custom quilting around each animal or something? The strips between the blocks are 1 inch wide. I've mainly just done stitch in the ditch on quilts so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190527_105733 - Copy (2) (645x800).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	161650

2. Thanks cv quilter, Grey Lady, Babs quilts, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Would You Quilt This Top?

You know, they are close together so an over all stitch design would work well. that is a great quilt. Lots of visual interest already!

4. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great quilt. An all over design would certainly work. If you have mainly done stitch in the ditch I would not start with custom quilting on a quilt this big. Start custom quilting on a smaller piece and build up to a large quilt. If it was me I would take the easy way out. Long wiggly lines down the long axis with a variegated blue thread. It will look like rain. You can even do it with your walking foot even you want.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks Vonnie, Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I will have someone do it for me if I don't do an all over design, although I could do wavy lines myself. I just want to pick something that will look nice and not take away from the quilt pattern. I don't have the experience to know what that would be.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! That is an awesome quilt! I still do stitch in ditch mostly but this would look great with an meander type quilting. JMHO.

Gina

9. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Angela Walters' would do wonders with her custom FMQ on such a beautiful quilt like yours. But believe, custom quilting takes a lot of time. If you hire someone to do it, it will be expensive. An all over FMQ pattern certainly would work. Something simple, so as not to distract from all the lovely piecing. Do you live in Colorado? Post pics again when it's finished. It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

11. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know but just wanted to pop in and say what a wonderful quilt that is. You did a terrific job on it and I can't wait to see how the quilting turns out.

13. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I am going against the grain. This quilt screams custom quilting to me. It is a gorgeous quilt that will only be improved by custom stitches. Yes, it would not be cheap, but I think it would be so worth it!

15. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

While custom quilting can be fabulous, it often overshadows the piecing. Simpler quilting would let the blocks shine. As Denise mentioned, long, curvy lines would be lovely. And you would have another skill in your kit. Your quilt top is beautiful, pls post a photo when you quilt it.
    Diana Grey

17. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t want to be considered argumentative, but I do think custom quilting done correctly can enhance the piecing and not over power it. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and build their skills as they go. Everyone should design and piece and quilt their quilts to their preferences. If she is wanting to do her own quilting, then yes, she should do something she is comfortable doing. If she is willing to have some one with more skills quilt it, then I think custom quilting should be considered. This is just my opinion, but I think all opinions should be listened to.

19. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post