Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Would You Quilt This Top?

I think if you choose an all over edge to edge, it should be simple, so as not to compete with the piecing. There's a lot going on with this quilt, and you don't want to take away from it. I agree with Suzy Que that the correct custom could enhance it, but also one must have a budget for custom quilting. If you go custom do have a conversation with the quilter and make sure you both agree on what will be done and the cost.

2. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a simple allover design would be good on this quilt and not overpower the piecing. The vertical wavy lines would be good since this quilt appears to be constructed in vertical columns. I would also recommend a finer thread to keep the quilting in the background.

If your budget allows, the custom option would be nice, but I normally think of custom quilting on a quilt with lots of negative space. Since this quilt doesn't have a lot of negative space, I would save my custom quilting pennies for a different project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You already have a lot of good suggestions to choose from. Just wanted to pop in and say "what a beautiful quilt!"
    Vonnie

5. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That is some quilt! If this were my quilt, I would send it to Missouri Star for a edge to edge all over design. I personally love their work, and I think an all over design would work. If I decided to do it myself, I would ..... No, I wouldn’t trust myself on this one. Congratulations.

7. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on finishing such a complex quilt pattern. It is stunning.

I think a light custom quilting would do it justice, especially if someone else is doing it. However, I felt it wasn't my accomplishment when done by LAQ. That probably just me. On the other hand an all over design would not take away from the interest of the blocks.

In the end, your quilt, your decision. Please share when done.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Congratulations on finishing such a complex quilt pattern. It is stunning.

I think a light custom quilting would do it justice, especially if someone else is doing it. However, I felt it wasn't my accomplishment when done by LAQ. That probably just me. On the other hand an all over design would not take away from the interest of the blocks.

In the end, your quilt, your decision. Please share when done.
    Suzanne, I am the same way about wanting to finish my quilts from start to finish, (excluding creating the fabrics and designs)

11. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What I have learned while quilting, if you focus on lots of quilting, that is what people will notice first (a whole cloth quilt is the best example of that). This top you have made is pictorally awesome. That awesomeness can be accentuated with custom quilting. If you know someone who is affordable and knows what they are doing.....go for it. If you cannot afford (may cost over $1000) or do not know anyone, I think your best foot forward on this awesome top is to go with a panto or edge2edge design of nature like leaves, vines, woodgrain, or paw prints. If you will be doing the quilting, the easiest of these is woodgrain. You can also do walking foot lines densely and it would not distract from your piecing. Ultimately it is your quilt and you will proceed with what your gut instinct tells you to. Awesome quilt top!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

13. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I might be the lone vote here but I think a simple grid design with a lightweight thread might be effective. The piecing is magnificent and that is what should shine.

15. Thanks Jess.senseofadventure, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Yes I do live in Colorado. I've only been here a couple of years but I love it. I will post finished pictures. It might be awhile although I did finally find a long arm quilter I can talk to.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your compliments, input and advice!!! You have given me lots of ideas to think about. I do know of one quilter in the area to ask about cost. Sounds like I will have to save up if I go for custom quilting. Thanks for suggesting Missouri star as well. I hadn't thought of that. I do like the idea of finishing a quilt from start to finish, but I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those amazing free motion quilters. I just don't enjoy that part of it that much. I do love the piecing. And yes, I do want the piecing to shine. Thanks for confirming that the piecing can also look good with custom quilting. I will talk to the quilter here and see what she can do as far as both options. Thank you again so much! I like getting other quilter's opinions when I am struggling to decide.