Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Juki tl2010q user needs help

Help! I got my new Juki tl2010q 3 days ago and have only succeeded in using the automatic threader 3 times and each time I've tried to duplicate what I thought I did, it didn't thread. And I think I watched every youtube video on using this automatic threader. Since I need to get some sewing done (note to self: December is not the best time to get a new machine...), I have started to manually thread the needle. This has allowed me to sew for a little while, but then the needle breaks. The manual tells me that this is probably due to incorrectly threading the needle. Can anyone tell me how to manually thread the needle correctly? or is there some magic I need to practice to use the automatic threader successfully? I cannot take the machine back to the dealer for help because I had to order online due to the fact that there are no Juki dealers in my little corner of the world (I know, there's another lesson here). I'm beginning to feel desperate, so any advice or words of wisdom/encouragement will be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Juki tl2010q user needs help

Ok. Let's start. it's really pretty easy to do, after getting familiar.

the threader needs size 11/75 needle or larger. let's assume that and 50 wt thread.

1st: when using the threader, there is a very tiny hook that goes thru the needle to hook the thread. You may have to kneel on the floor to see. Use the hand wheel to raise the needle as high as possible. the needle up/down doesn't raise it far enough. pushing down on the threader, check to see the hook goes thru the the needle's eye. When I got my juki, I had to push that hook a tiny bit to get thru the needle.

2ND: This takes patience. to thread the needle, the thread has to be in that hook. I thought I was doing that, but I was actually pushing it past the hook and behind the needle. look very closely. once I understood what I was doing, it becomes super easy. if I can do it, you can too. good luck.
    Diana Grey

3. Thanks jalway, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two other things to check. Make sure you have installed the needle with the flat on the needle in the correct orientation. Make sure the needle has been slide all the way up in the shaft. If the needle is installed even a little to low the machine can't make a stitch properly.

If you have a magnifying glass look at the hook that catches the thread and pushes the thread through the eye of needle. If the needle was installed incorrectly the hook may have been bent. SLOWLY operate the needle threader and watch the hook. Is it going in the eye? If not, either your needle is installed incorrectly or your hook has become bent.

Here is some encouragement. You have picked a great machine. Work through these the machine is new to me issues and soon you will be sewing a long like a champ.

Feel free to ask questions. We have all been where you are and are happy to help each other out.

One last thing. Another thing that cause your needle to break is if you have installed your bobbin upside down (which for the Juki 2010 means it is spinning the wrong direction). You might want to double check that.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks jalway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have had mine for over five years now. During that time, I have managed to use the threaded successfully 2x!!! I just thread it by hand.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks sydneybean, quiltingaway, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a group on facebook for Jukis that also has helpful people.
    I don't have this machine but do have another model juki which I love. Hope you get to the point of loving yours.

9. Thanks jalway thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I have had mine for over five years now. During that time, I have managed to use the threaded successfully 2x!!! I just thread it by hand.
    Ha! My stats for threading, too.

11. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for nearly 2 years and I've never used it successfully - I found it to be much less fristrst8ng to just thread it by hand.

The first few times I replaced the needle I did have difficulty. I had to just walk away and come back to it - doing nothing different as far as I can tell, it would slot right in! It's persnickety to start with but as you do it more often it will just work fine

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the tips from Diana and Denise, especially about the needle size and having it at it's highest point. You can't depend on the needle up/down to raise it high enough. I've had to replace the hook on my needle threader once. The wire is as fine as a hair and can get bent out of whack easily.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

15. Thanks jalway thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Wow, I have had this machine for 3+ years and have had issues only when needle is too small or needle is not raised enough. Right now I have 5 machines & 5 different needle threaders. I can use them all and I mostly use size 11 or 12 needles and of course I have several pkgs. of size 10 needles. LOL.

17. Thanks jalway, Judy, USMC thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Wow and thanks! I've never posted before so am blown away by the response. And, guess what? Success! Took awhile and I'm still not sure I've seen the little wire, even with a magnifying glass, but I was finally able to successfully use the threader several times in a row. Hallelujah! And after fooling around for some time I can report that with this machine my FMQ skills have improved significantly. Many thanks to all!

19. Thanks MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post