Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Welcome Friday!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome Friday!

Well I don't know how welcome it is, it is snowing right now. It looks like we will have a white Christmas after all, and that is okay.

I was able to finish the bowl cozies yesterday. Holy moly I don't know why I have such a hard time. My problem comes when the two pieces are joined together and you edge stitch. The seams are so bulky. Any suggestions from the gallery?

I have an unexpected house guest. He was not in any shape to be driving home last night after the Christmas party. He is a really good friend of ours so I don't mind. My sewing room is across the hall so I don't think I will get there any time soon and that is okay too.

I helped a friend out yesterday. She wanted to order something from Amazon and did not know how. So together we got her ink ordered and at the same time, I set up an account for her for future. She gave me the $$ for the purchase which in turn I will use to pay the credit card.

And so I am not sure what today will bring just yet. Phil is coming home on Sunday to attend the Celebration of Life for his friend who passed away on Thursday. It is not fair, parents should not have to bury their children. My heart breaks for the family.

Tomorrow I am meeting with my brother and we will attend a Christmas Market, so looking forward to spending time with my brother.

Have a great day friends and a wonderful weekend.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Welcome Friday!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Here it is Friday again. Monique, glad you were able to provide a safe haven for someone who shouldn't be out driving.

Yest. I did more FMQ. I have 2 sides of the outer border done, 2 to go. I can see the end in sight! Might get it done today.

We had rain most of the day yest. & mid-40's. At least no snow. More melting on-going. Per the radio report, it's foggy out there. I gave DS#2 a heads-up so he can allow extra time for his commute this a.m.

This eve. is our annual ladies' Christmas event at church. There will be good food & a special speaker. The decorations always are well done. It's a widely attended event. DH isn't keen on my going out at night, but hey, it's only a once year event, so I'm going.

I'll have to watch Jenny's tutorial later. I'm not very fond of quilts that have big patches of white. I probably would change the colors some way.

Free shipping today for the DD.

4. Thanks baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, Monique and all,

Back from NC! I arrived home about 80 last evening, after a long drive from Minneapolis. Of course I had to hit icy roads after I got off the interstate, so that added some time to the drive. DD and I arrived in Mpls. yesterday afternoon, and I stayed at her apt. for the night. I left when she went to work, and met my sister at a Perkin's for breakfast and catching up. I think we sat there for 2 1/2 hours talking, talking, talking!

DS's promotion ceremony was great, and I'm so glad he had us there to share it with. He's now officially a Gunnery Sargent of the Marines. We're very proud of him.

I have a lot to do today.....unpacking, washing clothes, etc. I need to spend some time in the sewing room as well. But first I think I'll have another cup of coffee, and read some of the posts from this week. :-)

Jeanne

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.

Glad it is finally Friday so I can finish a project and start a few Christmas projects. The weekend will be fun and busy. I'm taking grandson (3 years old) to a friends birthday party for the day. I'll try to fit in baking and some decorating on the next one too.

Monique,

A couple of tips for the bulk issues in the seam line. Trim along the seam line to take out the extra batting. Small embroidery snips with a curved blade work well. You can also cut the batting smaller so it falls just inside the seam line. I use a glue stick to hold the layers in place until stitched together.

The final top stitch will catch the batting in all the layers.

I cut batting smaller when making bags or pouches to prevent bulk in the seams. It works well if you top stitch or add some quilting to the item. Good luck!

7. Thanks Monique, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning....I woke up sick this morning. It sounds and feels like bronchitis.

Very little will get done here today other than caring for the Girls. So glad we don't have to go to the apartments tomorrow.

Take care everyone. Will check in when I feel human again.

9. Thanks Monique, baslp, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,
    Light snow is falling and it's pretty. Thankfully we are not expecting the dumps of snow expected elsewhere in our province. No serious plans today, probably more sewing to finish items on TO DO list, and a short visit with mom. I'm also expecting pkgs from CT & M*.

Monique - like Rhonda, I trim the batting, using duck bill scissors. You can get really close with these. Applique scissors would also work. I tried cutting the batting smaller, but that didn't work for me. So sad for your son's friend.
    Jeanne - proud mom and nice that you got to attend.
    Barb - take it easy. Bronchial problems at this time of year don't improve quickly. I know, still coughing.

Yesterday I pressed fabrics I washed as well as a few tops that were donated. The musty smell is gone, but there are frayed seams to trim. I don't mind, must better than breathing in mould. I also finished handsewing the binding on a VQC quilt, when I came back from my massage. I needed that for my neck and shoulder.

Tomorrow we are going to visit friends an hour away. It's will be a packed day, looking for foam and fabric to reupholster the gliders' seat cushions, attending a book signing by a friend, a birthday meal for another and visit other friends.

Have a pleasant and fun Friday. TGIF to my working friends.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

11. Thanks Monique, baslp thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, so sorry you're not feeling well. Rest up and baby yourself.

Jeanne

13. Thanks Monique, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Monique, thank goodness you had room to put your friend up for the night. Better safe than sorry!

Joy, have a great time at your Christmas event tonight. You deserve it!

Jeanne, what an honor to be at your son's promotion ceremony! Jim's CO sent me an email with a letter and picture of Jim getting his Surface Warfare pin. Since they were in the middle of deployment, I guess there was a good reason we weren't invited.

Barb, I hope you feel better quickly. Being sick when so much needs to be done is the pits! I'm grounding myself, as soon as I get my MIL's Christmas present to the UPS office. lol, and I just may send Mike to take care of that!

Suzanne, you've got a busy weekend planned! I hope you have lots of fun!

We picked up the Christmas pictures yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 Grandkids.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	161631

The merry threesome that have kept me sick. Gotta love 'em!

I'm still figuring out my sewing room. The new cabinets are taller so I can't put my phone up where I had it before. I have no idea where to stick it so it will be available, but not in the way. I've already found out two of the drawer contents are going to have to be swapped. What was I thinking putting my sewing stuff in the bottom drawer? lol It's still a work in progress, I guess.

Have a great day everyone!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, MaggieSue thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.it is sunny and 43 here. We are finally having a curb put in . I started this process last August. Hope they finish before the rain comes on Monday. I was able to sew for a bit yesterday. I am almost done with this quilt. I am so ready to start a new one.
    The pug seems to be going through a growth and energy spurt. I am getting my excercise chasing and playing with her. It is a challenge getting things done around here.

Have a good day. Hope you feel better Barb.
    Beth

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Katrina— I really like your Xmas card! ESP theGS flashing the☮️Sign
    Beth

19. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post