Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Traveling help needed

So we are officially full time RVers now.

We have stopped in Tulsa for two days to see family and hit the stores we didn't have at home like Joann's and Lowes. This evening we will be in Wichita Falls, Tx. Anyone have favorite things to do around there?

Then tomorrow we will go to my youngest daughter's at Ft. Hood, TX. Saturday we want to go over to Fredericksburg and see the Nimitz museum. We are both big history fans.

After that we head west on I10 for Yuma. Anything we should definitely stop and see?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Traveling help needed

Sorry I can't help you with suggestions as I'm not familiar with that area. Hopefully, somebody will chime in that is. I was wondering though - do you sew while you are on the road? If so, I think that would be so cool. Of course, only with your husband driving - lol.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wichita Falls, Tx has probably the worst air quality in all of Texas. The manufacturing plants there spew out. If you have trouble breathing you don't have to move very far outside of the city to get better air. Don't be afraid to change your reservation if you start feeling sick from the bad air.

Because of the bad air quality I have never tried any recreational activities in or near Wichita Falls, Tx
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't sew while we are driving but yes I do sew in the trailer. As a matter of fact I just found a travelling quilters blog? called happy camper. She has even less room than I do!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't ever seen the museum in Oklahoma City about he bombing when ever you are close go to it. Like you I really like history. It is one of the best museums I have seen. Also in Waco, Texas go to where Branch Davidians shoot out was. But I had watch several documentaries about it before I was there. And also go up to the church that is there now and get one of their papers off of the door and read it , and some of the stones by the church. It sounded like there is a membership that still believes like he did.

6. Thanks ktdid thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I might be too late, but the TX Quilt Museum in LaGrange is only 139 miles from Ft. Hood. You can check the website online to see if you'received interested in the current exhibits.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Okla Bombing April 19 1995.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	161622
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not much of an outdoorsy person, but I absolutely loved the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. If you're anywhere near there ( https://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm ), it is worth stopping to see. The shifting sands make it look as though the ground is alive!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni, funny you should mention that. We used to live in Alamogordo and visited the dunes quite a lot. About the same distance toward the mountain is a ski resort so we had the best of all worlds except no water.

Made it to Fredericksburg but didn't get to stop since there wasn't any public parking big enough for the trailer. We will come back when we just have the truck. Then we will go see the quilt museum too. Since DD lives at Ft. Hood we are in the area often.

So tonight we are camped at San Angelo State Park. We saw white tail deer today and tomorrow we will go see the bison and Texas' official Longhorn Cattle herd. Then head west some more.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

No advice on where to go, but as a former RVer, take your time as you travel, and see all the sights. You may never get to go that way again! We traveled for 30 years, part time, and were able to see this country in all its glory...places I never dreamed of going to. It's a great way to go, and you meet some interesting people, and a few not so great! My only experiences in Texas were in Corpus Christi and Kingsville where we lived and my boys were born, and Houston and San Antonio.
    Last edited by Navy Wife; December 8th, 2019 at 06:00 PM.