Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Embroidery machine

After seeing so many wonderful gifts created via an embroidery machine at last nights gift exchange-my hexi club is so much fun- I am more interested than ever to get one. DH says "look into it" so I am. Any advice as to what features I should look for or features that are not really used? If you have one do you find you make enough use of it to justify the $$$? I have a friend with one and she has not really been able to figure it out enough to use it for anything other than lettering.
    I would love to see some of your creations.

Thanks ever so much for any/all input.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Embroidery machine

I have had and sold two so not sure my comments will help but anyway.
    Be sure to get the largest embroidery area you can afford, a minimum of 5x7 and be sure to get a method of uploading designs that is easy for you to understand.
    I had to Brothers and was satisfied with their quality.

3. Thanks Old Newbie, Trudy A thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Babylocks. The first question to ask yourself: will you be using the machine solely for embroidery, or do you want one that you can sew on as well? The ones that do both are usually more expensive. Claire is 100% right, buy the machine with the largest hoop you can afford. I bought my second machine recently because my first one -- an older model that was pre-owned -- broke twice this year. That machine can be used for either sewing or embroidery. The machine I purchased recently is embroidery only and has a larger hoop.

Babylocks and Brothers are very similar in features and price. My choice came down to the interface (I already had a Babylock so that was easier for me) and the designs that came with the machine. The Brother had a lot of Disney designs, which I would not use. I use my machine mostly for edge-to-edge quilting, but I do embroider occasionally.
    Last edited by JulieC; December 4th, 2019 at 01:47 PM.

5. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love machine embroidery, I probably use my embroidery machines more than my sewing machines. There are so many things you can make with them and the designs get better and better each year.

Definetly get a machine with the biggest hoop size you can afford. My first machine has a 5x7 hoop as it's largest but there are more "in the hoop designs" now for larger items such as purses and such than there were when I started about 5 years ago so I moved up to a larger machine. Between the two machines I can do pretty much everything I want now.

Also purchase from a dealer who will give you good service with your machine. It is also very helpful if they are experienced in machine embroidery themselves so they know how the machine operates and can answer any questions/ or problems you may experience. When I was shopping for my second machine and had questions about it there were a number of dealers who didn't know the answers to my questions cause they sold the machine I was inquiring about but never operated it.

Shop around and I hope you find one, I think you will be hooked once you get one!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

7. Thanks Old Newbie, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything Cathy said. In addition, it's important to me to have a LED screen that's in color. My first emb machine had a screen that was black and white and it was nearly impossible to figure things out. I'm talking about the picture of the design you are sewing. Also, get a machine with the largest hoops you can afford. I also appreciate the cutting feature and the low bobbin warning. My machine is a Janome 12000. The following are a few of the kinds of things you can do with an emb machine. It's really FUN!!!

Name:  Aubrey.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  8.9 KB Name:  Banners2Go.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  11.2 KB Name:  ClutchBag.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  10.6 KB Name:  HalloweenMat.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  16.2 KBName:  laceyangel.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  11.4 KB
    Last edited by Bubby; December 4th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.

9. Thanks Old Newbie, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Husky/Viking Topaz 50 which both sews and embroiders. The largest hoop it will take is a 200 x 360 which is basically the size of a piece of paper, big enough for anything I have ever done. I prefer magnetic hoops over spring hoops but that's just me. I have used Madeira thread primarily. If you want an exact match to a picture stay away from off brands that don't have a conversion chart. If you are just getting close or doing your own things the cheaper off brands seem to work just as well. The downside to a Husky is you just about have to buy your hoops at Joann's or online and they are PRICEY! I use the largest hoop the most often and if I need a smaller hooping area I use parchment paper cut to the hoop size with a cutout in the middle for the design size. Works well for me. Hope this helps. I do have a caveat though.......WARNING machine embroidery can be hazardous to your family life
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

11. Thanks Old Newbie, Granny Fran, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Money had been a factor for me (still is). I wasn't sure if I'd even like doing embroidery but I wanted to try and see. I got the Brother SE400. It cost around $400. Only has a hoop that can do 4x4 designs. Turns out I do like doing embroidery and if I had the extra money I'd get the larger Brother with the larger 5x7 design capability. The SE400 also could do sewing which the larger model can't. At this stage that would be ok because I have another sewing machine for various stitching.. The problem with the SE400 is the sewing part of the machine stopped working after 3 years and could not be repaired. The embroidery part still works fine so I continue to use it for just embroidery. From what I've read in various forums is that this is not an unfamiliar problem with the SE400. I liked the way the machine had stitch, it had many options and it was smooth sewing....until it didn't. I'd probably try the Brother PE800 which runs around $528 next as that has a 5x7 hoop. It's probably about all I could afford.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

13. Thanks Old Newbie, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very nice one, but have not gotten the chance to really get into using it yet.

I'm told, and have read, that the most important thing people want is the hoop size....
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

15. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone--get the largest hoop size you can afford. And I second Cathy's advice about buying from a dealer where you can get support.

17. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bernina with a 5x7 hoop. Love what it can do. I need to learn more. It seems beautifully too. Right now it needs to go to the shop. My daughter was sewing and the timing went. I bought a box of sulky. It was $250, it's pricy but fun!

19. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post