Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Embroidery machine

I also have the Brother PE770, and it works well for me. I would recommend you get an embroidery only machine because I've heard of one or the other component dying and can't be fixed. Plus they are usually more expensive. I think I paid $600 for the Brother. I bought it online from Ken's Sewing Machine several years ago.

Jeanne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I searched for a year before I found a used Babylock Ellegante for a reasonable sum. I found I liked embroidery as much if not more than quilting. After a couple of years I traded that in on a purchase on a Babylock Unity. It has a huge hoop and I like the Babylock interface. I usually find some way to include embroidery in my quilts now!

Anita Gooddesign often offer classes that include the use of their machines. It would give you a good idea if you would like machine embroidery. I finally found one last year within drivable distance that used Brother machines. The interface on the Big Brothers is nearly identical to Babylock. I would probably get an embroidery only machine if I did this again as this one is usually embroidering while I sew on another. I never use it for actual sewing ad I just leave it setup for embroidery.

I would go with the best dealership nearest you. The first dealership I dealt with was excellent, but they closed up shop a year later. I now have to travel 80 miles for service.

Be sure you feel comfortable downloading designs off the Internet, getting them on a USB stick, and putting them in your embroidery machine. I bought the Embrillance software to help with this. It can be a bit tricky at times. I bought a bunch of 1 g USB sticks off the Internet; I think the small size USB is better than having a huge size for this process.

Most of all have fun! Warning: it can be addictive and eat up all your sewing time!
    Last edited by Lightwriter; December 11th, 2019 at 03:15 AM.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I've had two "cheap" ones;

1st was a Brother Project runway sewing/embroidery machine. It had a 4"x4" field, which was nice, I embroidered little moose/dear/ducks on shirts for my husband and son or on quilt pieces. Cost just under $400. It was great, sewed like a champ! Very small stitch per design though. After owning it 8 years I sold it for $300, because I saw....

Edge-2-Edge embroidery for quilting quilts where you are basically doing "longarming" in the hoop and immediately went out and bought a Singer EM200 which has a 6"x10" field. Although they suggest to not do large quilts, I regularly do queen quilts with it - but that's over 130 hoopings - takes me longer to "quilt" the top than piecing it! BUT, it was way cheaper than sending quilts to a longerarming service, which is how I justified it to myself to buy it. After doing 3 quilts, I had "saved" money, right?! I've probably done 15 quilts now. And own about 60 designs (got them as a package buy, rather than $20 per 10). Here's a backing :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170831_083947.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	161797

I love the Singer for the quilting aspect, however....

I would not recommend that Singer machine to anyone. It is an embroidery only machine, no sewing. It was cheap as I got it on sale and got an employee discount and spent right around $500. It's quirky, motor freezes up, has a stitch limitation of 50,000 per design (a quilt-in-the- hoop is only 1200 stitches or so), but I can't do large things (like on a back of a jean jacket) without splitting the design, which is painful to align properly and requires expensive software. This lighthouse was 64K, the green areas were split and if you really look the design, it is a bit trapezoidal. The actual size of the sewn patch is 5.5"x9".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Split Rock.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	161796

I buy most all my designs from EmLibrary, you just have to pay attention to the stitch size of the designs. I didn't, so I have a bunch of huge designs I can't use Again, I can buy expensive software to fix them... (hmm, or a new machine that can handle them! Someday...) But they have a HUGE selection designs, no matter what you're in to!

I would suggest think about what you want to use it for, small things on kids clothes, and get a little, inexpensive sewing/embroiderer. Or, save your money, research better machines such as a Bernina or a Janome that can sew and embroider with a large (8"x13") or even a "jumbo" (9"x15") field (if you want to do quilting or large embroideries). And find out their stitches per design limitations if you want to do large designs.
    I've learned so much from my mistakes,
    I think I'll make some more!

4. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased that Split Rock lighthouse design but haven't stitched it out yet. Yours is beautiful!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your machine does over 50,000 stitches, guess you'll find out!
    I've learned so much from my mistakes,
    I think I'll make some more!

7. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother pe800 which is an embroidery only machine. I have a good sewing machine so I didn't need the combo. It cost me around $500, has up to a 5x7 embroidery area, but I can do a larger by splitting the design. I used to have a pe150 that I was gifted. I knew nothing about embroidery (didn't know I even wanted to learn it!) but I soon became hooked! The 800 has a color LED screen, many built in designs and USB port for downloading designs. ability to edit designs (merge/add, adjust size, etc) It is fine for me, I personally have no desire to go for bigger embroidery area. I didn't want to spend a ton of money because I embroider for myself, friends, and family (I do not do it for a business). Going to try to include a couple of pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookmark.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	161808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookmark.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	161808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flag 4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	161809 Bookmark (in the hoop design), flag I made to hang by my son's headstone, quilt for Grandson that has 35 embroidery designs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adam's quilt 1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	161810  

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blasius.jill@gmail.com View Post
    Hope your machine does over 50,000 stitches, guess you'll find out!
    I just checked, and my design is a bit different than yours. Mine has the lighthouse, but only a little bit of the cliff. And it's only about 15,000 stitches. I like how yours includes the water.