Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Embroidery machine

Do you want to (legally) sew Disney designs? If you do, then you have only one choice: BROTHER. Only Brother is licensed to sew Disney creations.

Having said that, I've owned two Brother embroidery machines and two Janome embroidery machines. All four have been trusty workhorses, even the so-nicely-priced SE400 that Carli Wolf mentioned. So if you want Disney, buy the biggest hoop Brother machine that you can afford!

(I quickly decided that the 4x4 hoop on the SE400 was too small and replaced it with a Janome 11000. Only after purchasing the Janome did I learn that only Brother has copyrighted Disney designs. Hence I purchased an embroidery-only Brother with a 6x10 hoop specifically for Disney to augment my Janome 11000.)
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

2. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH bought a Pfaff Creative 1.5 when we started quilting. We have all the hoops that it can accommodate, but I think biggest is about 5x7. Although we downloaded and bought a lot of free designs, we have barely used them. We use the machine mostly for making very pretty and elaborate quilt labels.

Threads - we bought a lots of embroidery threads, but found they caused issues with tension, and would often break. I tried Glide thread which I use on my LA., and I have never had an issue since then.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

First, check the local dealers and schedule a demo (or two) on their machine. The dealer may have a trade-in or consignment machine available. They may also offer a class or event. Our dealer provides machines for events if you don't have one.

There are so many different levels of machines and features available. I made 4 visits before deciding on my first machine. Some brands have embroidery only machines. A nice option if you already have a sewing machine to use. I wanted a machine that I could grow into instead of "out-of" meaning I would learn the new features. I sew or work on a machine embroidery project every day.

https://swpea.me/2018/06/30/understanding-hoop-size/

6. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Husqvarna topaz 50. Its nice. I guess I'm not very crafty. After making dish towels for friends and using it for quilting designs I found that it didn't make me feel as creative as FMQ eventhough it truly is more professional looking. I like the art side of crafts and I want to be able to say, "yes, I made that" but as my grandson told his mother..."yeah but you used that cheater machine and gramma does her own". Maybe that's why I can't seem to get into it. We are all different

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My husband bought my embroidery machine for Xmas 1998.
    I use my Emb. machine mainly to stitch quilt blocks for
    crib quilts/lap quilts. These quilts make wonderful baby
    shower quilts and Xmas gifts. Iíve made quilts for my
    grandchildren and nieces and nephews. I just finished
    embroidering bed quilts for my granddaughters for
    wedding gifts. Wonderful emb. Designs are available.
    I also emb. my quilt labels with the same designs I
    used in the quilt top. I use the 5X7 hoop most of the time.
    I use Isacord emb. Thread recommended by my
    Bernina dealer. I use OESD heavy weight stabilizer
    and 505 temporary fabric adhesive.
    Itís important to use quality fabrics when
    embroidering and a good stabilizer to produce
    a quality end product.
    For me machine embroidery is a creative outlet I
    can incorporate into my quilts.
    Research machines and products so you are
    educated so you can purchase a machine you
    will be satisfied with. Have fun creating .

9. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I have the Husqvarna topaz 50. Its nice. I guess I'm not very crafty. After making dish towels for friends and using it for quilting designs I found that it didn't make me feel as creative as FMQ eventhough it truly is more professional looking. I like the art side of crafts and I want to be able to say, "yes, I made that" but as my grandson told his mother..."yeah but you used that cheater machine and gramma does her own". Maybe that's why I can't seem to get into it. We are all different
    It is interesting you say this Terry, about not feeling as creative as when you FMQ. I don't have an embroidery machine and that is the main reason why. While I see beautiful things created with an embroidery machine I always feel like I want to be at the machine, hands on. That is what I love about quilting - just drivin' that machine. I don't think I would get the same feeling with an embroidery unit.

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Husqavarna Topaz 20. I agree with everyone here regarding getting the largest hoop possible. My largest one is 260 x 200 (approx. 10" x 8", I think). I definitely wouldn't want anything smaller than that. The machine sews and embroiders fabulously. If you like to FMQ, this one isn't great in that department - tension is hard to get right. For everything else, it's great!

I like to use single run embroidery patterns to quilt on my quilts - they look very much like FMQ but involve hooping the quilt multiple times to get the job done.

This model is no longer available but as has been mentioned here, the Topaz 50 is. If Husqavarnas are of interest to you at all, I've seen advertisements about the Topaz 25 being cleared out at dealers now so the price is probably much better than most similar machines.

13. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

check my gallery for some of the things ive made. Unfortunately, no matter how small I get them I can't load pictures any more.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

15. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a beginner at machine embroidery. Terry, I agree that it feels as though I haven't done much other than change thread colors when the machine stops, the hit the start button again. I am enjoying the in-the-hoop projects, though.

Would love to learn how to make a quilt label.

17. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has a PFAFF that is about 20 yrs old that embroiders and sews.
    I have a Designer SE that also does both and I would suggest that you get a sewing Machine that uses several hoop sizes.

My sister has a smaller Baby Lock Sophia that she loves to take with her when we all sew together, etc. She loves the Sophia for small embroidery projects.
    I have a friend that has a Designer SE (we purchased our Designers SE on the same day LOL! ) and she has a Brother PE 770 and I have thought about purchasing this machine for myself, as well. My friend has two Viking/Husqvarna and says that she really enjoys the Brother PE 770.
    I would recommend purchasing it at a shop that gives you classes with the purchase etc. The YouTuber called "The Crafty Gemini" has the PE 770 and she does show a few video tutorials using the PE 770 :
    https://youtu.be/dOH6F0wVFic
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; December 6th, 2019 at 10:29 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

19. Thanks Trudy A thanked for this post