Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Mitres

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mitres

Why do my mitres always look better on the wrong side than they do on the front of a quilt I've watched youtube videos and followed a couple of tutorials but still not happy.
    Are you happy with your mitres? Am I expecting too much? Should I be satisfied with 'not perfect'? !!! Any tips very welcome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mitres

I'm satisfied for done, it may not be perfect, but it's finished.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you stopping your stitch 1/4 inch before reaching each end? I'm no expert but just guessing that maybe this could be a cause of what you describe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I pin my binding is at the corner. I do it like this:
    1. First mark each corner 1/4 inch from the edge and stop your stitching right there!
    2. Raise the presser foot and turn the fabric so your stitches are coming straight at you
    3. Stitch right off the edge (3-4 stitches).
    4. Raise needle. Remove quilt from machine.
    5. Fold your corner into 45 degree angle. Flip your binding straight up so it covers up the 45 deg angle you just made, and then one more fold down so your unattached binding is pointing towards you. NOW pin that near the left edge (but through all layers) so you don't run over the pin with your needle. The pin keeps that 45 deg fold from unfolding.
    6. Starting at the corner edge where you just ran off the edge, sew 1/4 inch seam all the way down until you reach 1/4 inch before your next corner.
    7. Repeat from #1, going all the way around and stop on your last side before you get to where you have to join your tails together.
    8. I think this is the Eleanore Burns method and is probably on You Tube. It's eadier than it sounds and pretty fool proof.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 4th, 2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Forgot a step

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to make a quilt with a mitered corner. Donna Jordan has a very good video on making mitered corners.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I have yet to make a quilt with a mitered corner. Donna Jordan has a very good video on making mitered corners.
    Sorry JCY - should have made it clear I meant I was not happy with the binding mitred corners

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with jj's description. Also I got better when I practiced on mug rugs to get this down pat. After awhile it will be easier and easier.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

mine turn out nicely about 90% of the time. the other 10% were just ornery corners.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a similar method as posted above.

Pay attention to the direction of the folds at the corners. The binding in the corners should fold in opposite directions on each side.