Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default House Selling Angst

After knocking myself out staging our home to sell, the listing went live the day before Thanksgiving.

A couple came to see our house within two hours and made a full-price offer on Thanksgiving. We negotiated back and forth a bit and came to a wonderful agreement. I planned to drive back to Northern California on Wednesday and begin to pack.

We were sobbing that the house sold so fast. We really weren't ready for it. But at the same time there was relief that all the hard work paid off. We let our kids, who aren't super happy that we're selling, know that it had sold.

Twenty seconds later, a text came through to my phone. My realtor was letting me know that the buyers had backed out.

After being sad the house sold so fast, you'd think I'd be ecstatic that it fell out. To the contrary, I'm devastated. The buyers had rejected over 80 homes before deciding on ours. We felt so good about the strength of their offer. I just don't understand why they would put us onto this emotional roller coaster.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: House Selling Angst

Selling a house is sometimes an emotional rollercoaster for sure. The home we sold in 1993 made us really nervous due to the fact that the realtor that we signed with (and she was a top seller and very well known in the community) GOOFED on the purchase order of our home. We had to find something within 30 days of the accepted offer on "our" house BECAUSE the word contingent wasn't put into the agreement. As you can guess I was VERY upset. We looked at 40-50 homes within a 25 day period....I had to take my personal days and a week of my vacation so we could find the house I now live in....WOW....We gave the seller of the house I now live in a full-purchase offer because this was the nicest house we had found and it was in the suburb we wanted to be in.

I'm sorry for what you are going through, but there has to be a "reason" I suppose although it would be nice to know WHY they backed out like that.

Here's a big (((((HUG)))))))

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that they found something that they liked better, for whatever reason. It should not be construed as anything wrong with your house. Take a deep breath, and realize you just have a bit more time now.

Sugar, your situation sounded like a nightmare. I would have hated to go through that. Hopefully, you got a break on the realtor fees.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that selling and buying homes are up there on the stress ladder of life.

It's upsetting that these buyers backed out for sure. It would be useful to know if they had reason, or if they are just not serious buyers. If they have seen that many houses, I'm guessing the issue is with them, and not your house.

Now, you mentioned that your kids weren't happy. Are they sad to see their home sold, or other reason they don't want you to move?

Best of luck, the right buyer will come along. Have faith.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni ~ Just the right buyer is out there who will cherish your home. Sorry for your disappointment. I hope everything works out ok for you. Hang in there.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Selling your house is one of the seven most stressful things in life. Be glad they did not wait until the last day of the back out period ( do they have back out periods on contracts in California?) My prayers are with you in this difficult period. Please be extra kind to yourself.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you got to keep the earnest money.
    Who knows why people do what they do, perhaps someone died or got a bad health diagnosis or maybe they are just flakes.
    Someone else will come along or you will decide not to sell, chin up, things will improve.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that comes to mind is that they thought they could afford your house but then really crunched the numbers and it was too much of a stretch for them to buy it and stay within budget. I know that in house hunting my husband and I always look at homes that are over the budget - we could stretch if it was the PERFECT house but that's not realistic and it's possible that we'll want to buy something that we get talked out of by close family that really is just looking out for our best interests.

I'm sure your hard work will still pay off, just not in two hours (wow, that was insanely fast!).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The third person to look at our house is buying it but the closing date keeps getting moved back for one reason or another. We went to the title company yesterday and signed the deed. The rest of the paperwork can be done over the email. So when my DH gets back from having the truck oil changed (and oh yeah, the engine is starting to miss!!!!) we will hook up the RV and be gone. We have commitments in Arizona that can't be changed.

Why is it that men leave these things to virtually the last minute? How long has the oil needed changed and when did you notice the engine missing? The morning we are leaving is NOT the time to take care of it! Maybe it's because we are leaving his home town for good and he's dragging his feet a little. I'm trying to be an "understanding" wife but I sure am glad I have you all to gripe to.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take it too hard. I was one of those buyers who backed out
    of buying a home 2 days later. We simply found a home we liked much more.
    Another buyer will come along, much luck to you.