• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Babs quilts
    Binding Belle
    • Sep 2018

What to do with this?

I got a curiosity bug and did a big star starting with 15" squares.
    IMG_20191130_141541.jpg

It came out to 39".
    I used Jenny's method from the big stars quilt to make the blocks. She said any size square will work so off I went.

So.... Do I border it so it is 48" square then add 12" blocks til I reach bed quilt size? If so what block to use?
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: What to do with this?

I would put a skinny inner border and wider second border and make it into a baby quilt. Maybe do a fancy scalloped edge or prairie points. You could even do a border with jumbo fat rickrack, it comes in so many colors now and that is cute on baby quilts. It turned out nice! I don't see how you could surround it with 12 inch blocks and make it full size. Not good at math but the numbers don't seem to come out right, to me anyway.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Babs quilts
      Binding Belle
      • Sep 2018

Yeah the math is wonky. The blocks would have to be 12" finished size I think so 12.5 before....?....math is definitely not my strong point.

I like the prairie points idea. I always thought those were cute but haven't tried them before.

Comment

• LauraP
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

I agree with the baby blanket idea. Maybe you could find some moon and stars flannel to back it with.
        sigpic

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

I made a big star baby quilt back in July, 2014, using a big star. You can view it in my albums. I didn't want a square quilt, so I added HSTs on the top & bottom & borders to make it rectangular. This one was quilted on my DSM, using the walking foot, before I had purchased my table LA or learned to use rulers. I used the Blue B Gone marking pen to mark the lines. (That was before I had any Frixion pens.) Remember, there are no quilt police, so you can do what you want. All those white areas provide lots of space for FMQ.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2011

You could also make it into a couch throw.
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Babs quilts
              Binding Belle
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by JCY View Post
              I made a big star baby quilt back in July, 2014, using a big star. You can view it in my albums. I didn't want a square quilt, so I added HSTs on the top & bottom & borders to make it rectangular. This one was quilted on my DSM, using the walking foot, before I had purchased my table LA or learned to use rulers. I used the Blue B Gone marking pen to mark the lines. (That was before I had any Frixion pens.) Remember, there are no quilt police, so you can do what you want. All those white areas provide lots of space for FMQ.
              I went and had a look. Yours turned out really nice. The added hst's really have it some added pizzazz.

There are lots of options with those big white spaces.....

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Comment

• Granny Fran
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

Thanks for this post. You have given me an idea. With that huge star I can see it as a table topper for my round dining table. Hmmm, lets see what my stash has to say. HeHeHe.
                No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                Aesop

Comment

• Babs quilts
                  Binding Belle
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Granny Fran View Post
                  Thanks for this post. You have given me an idea. With that huge star I can see it as a table topper for my round dining table. Hmmm, lets see what my stash has to say. HeHeHe.
                  Oh!! That's a good idea too! If you make one please post it too. I love looking at all the pretty things others make.

The hst's came to 10&1/4" but I am sure could be squared down to 10" .

My hubby said I should make 3 more and turn it into a bed quilt that way. He likes Jenny's snowballing, sashing and cornerstones to cut down the acre of white lol.
                  Last edited by Babs quilts; December 1, 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X