Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Favorite Quilting Gadgets and other Items

Hi, all! I'm involved in a family gift exchange, and am trying to figure out what to put on my list. I feel like I have every gadget and notion, but still need to write down some ideas for the person who drew my name. What are your favorite gadgets/tools or patterns/books?

Thanks!
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Favorite Quilting Gadgets and other Items

I just told my husband that I would like some of those pins Jenny used in this weeks tutorials.....

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Sevill...RB8W4T6MB76779
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about a photo album? to keep a record of the quilts you've made? A quilt Journal? I asked for some tape that the knitters use for marking the pattern rows they are on. Thinking that this will help me keep the cutting directions on track. ( I keep losing my place and I've cut the wrong size more than a few times.This is a repositionable tape so you don't ruin the paper pattern.
    One thing my sister gave me last year that I really use was some large 3 ring binders with clear plastic sleeves to keep all my patterns in. Love it. Have a great Christmas.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the large Stash 'n Store from FQS. It is about 7-8 inches long and so handy for holding small stuff like embroidery scissors, pens, seam ripper, small ruler or templates. It was under $10. https://www.fatquartershop.com/red-o...-stash-n-store
    Kai thread snipper, also around $10, is on my wish list. Do you have a Binding Baby? I have one. It is a little vertical wooden spool with a dolly head and you wind your binding on it so it doesn't get all tangled up while you are putting on your binding. It works really great but the Binding Baby needs a base to hold the spool, it is a wooden flower (painted to match binding dolly) with a hole in the center for the spool to stand up in ---of course both items sold separately, which together I think are around $25. But it makes for a nice gift I think.
    https://doohikeydesigns.com/collecti...bieslolamedium
    https://doohikeydesigns.com/collections/flowerspindles
    Last edited by jjkaiser; November 30th, 2019 at 02:29 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How nice that your family will contribute to your sewing habits.

I'm like you and feel I have very gadget and check out new ones. I really like the Gypsy thread cutter when chain piecing, magnetic bowls (I have several for pins and coil pins), Clover awl, the flatter bottle holder which is perfect to attach to my table and put the magnetic bowl with pins.

This week I ordered the Clover Fabric Pressing Pen. I think this will be handy when I don't bring projects with me, and unable to use an iron. I like a variety of pins and love the blue size Magic Pins. Clips - you can never have too many. A silicone pressing cloh. New gloves if you FMQ your own quilts.

A variety of rulers - love Omnigrip and Creative Grids.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I woke up this morning and look at what was in my mail "in box" a video on what to get a sewer for gifting!!! Just thought I'd share it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHN...em-uploademail Hopefully you can see this. A list of 10 things any sewer/quilter could use. Get r Done quilting.

7. Thanks Babs quilts, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you like hand quilting you might like Poke A Dots thimbles. i use them for big stitch quilting & love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlD7VHg5zk

If you spray baste your quilts ask for 505 spray.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered me some foundation papers for the pineapple block from fatquartershop.Com . I've been wanting to try paper piecing this block from scraps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Several of my friends got a new spray bottle and were raving about it. I thought it's a spray bottle - what could be so great? I finally bought one and they are wonderful! It is a real fine mist. I'm glad I finally purchased one. They are the "Stylist" spray bottles on M*

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love how we are all so different in our collective hobby. I've gotten some good ideas from everyone. Thank you!

Items I use every time I quilt are the 2&1/2" by 8" ruler from MSCQ and my stiletto from Quilt in a Day. I also keep a rotary cutter in a Snap N Store case in my desk at work along with 8&1/2" x 12" self-healing cutting mat for quick squaring up units during my lunch hour. This way when I get home I only need a quick press and can get straight to sewing.
    ( I also keep a mat ready next to my machine) There is also a nice supply of Werthers sugar-free caramels and some hard cinnamon candy in traveling wine glass that my youngest son gave me to enhance my quilting time. After all, I can't take wine with me in the car so this way it serves a wonderful purpose. Although, now that I think about it, if I have wine in the wine glass, the lid would keep my fabric safe from spills.....hmmm.

Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

12. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post