Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying local vs. the internet

I know it is important to support our LQS's, however, I am wanting to buy a new long arm machine and if I buy locally it is going to cost me over $1,000 more than if I ordered it online from a warehouse, which will not charge me shipping or tax.

I'm trying to weigh the other pros and cons. The machine I want is just an upgrade. I know how to work this machine already, so hopefully I won't need a lot of support that I can't get online or over the phone from the company I am buying from.

My biggest problem is I don't have anyone to help me put this together. I am sure my LQS will not help even if I pay them since I am not buying from them. I am thinking of calling a local sewing machine repairman and see how much he will charge to put it together for me.

I am sure most folks would say pay the extra $1000 + for local service, but that is still a lot of money! For those who have bought over the internet, was it a good experience or is this something I will regret?

Also, a dumb question, but...why do all these internet companies offer me free shipping but my LQS will not?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buying local vs. the internet

I think on your last question it's because they simply deal in internet sales and get breaks on cost, bulk shipping etc.

I'm not afraid to use Craigslist. If you aren't ,check them out or put a help wanted ad there. It's free!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The internet warehouses deal in bulk pricing and shipping where your LQS store sell a lot fewer items and their cost is higher. The warehouses also don't offer the customer support that most local dealers have. You trade off some things for others when you show online vs local.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy locally, the LQS should bring the LA to your house, set it up for you, & show you how to use it. You'd also have local repair & support. Most LQS offer free classes on how to use the products they sell. I've bought both my DSMs & my table LA from the LQS from people I know & trust & who will stand behind their products. That means a lot.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

what long arm machine are you looking to purchase?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you are buying a longarm, I would recommend going through a local dealer. I bought my last two machines on the internet and there was absolutely zero support. Fortunately between Jeff and I we have been able to resolve everything, but a longarm is another story. In my case there are no local dealers for DSMs or longarms.

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided I will have to pay the extra money and buy from my LQS. The machine I am looking at is the Handi Quilter Amara and for the amount of money I will be spending, I just can't deal with not having local set up and support in case something goes wrong. I did read some reviews of the internet company I was considering and while many folks have had positive experiences, there were some nightmare stories among them.

I bought my last long arm from my LQS and they have always supported me. I just hate paying all that extra money. Boo! Thanks for helping me with my decision.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know, you can always try talking to them about a lower deal, especially if they know you as a regular customer.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I will get some sort of deal. The shop is small and they don't sell many long arms. This will be the second one I have bought from them.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I figure there is cost, and then there is value. It's easy to look at the prices and see that the LQS charges more. But the support you can get from your LQS is worth something, too. Sometimes a lot. So while the cost may be greater in buying from your LQS, it sounds as though the value is greater, too. And you are supporting a local small business.