Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buying local vs. the internet

Quote Originally Posted by notsewfast View Post
    After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided I will have to pay the extra money and buy from my LQS. The machine I am looking at is the Handi Quilter Amara and for the amount of money I will be spending, I just can't deal with not having local set up and support in case something goes wrong. I did read some reviews of the internet company I was considering and while many folks have had positive experiences, there were some nightmare stories among them.

I bought my last long arm from my LQS and they have always supported me. I just hate paying all that extra money. Boo! Thanks for helping me with my decision.
    Congratulations on your new purchase. I think it's a good decision to buy local. Look at it as insurance. I rent the Amara from my LQS, and I love it. We debated getting a LA, but decided we didn't want to lose another room to quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I went to my LQS today and was pleasantly surprised. They gave me a price and when I shared my concerns, they counter-offered. After some back and forth, I got the Amara and frame, the shipping and the set up and some free stuff for the Amara for almost $1000 LESS than what I would have paid online!

I was thrilled because I am getting what I want for what I believe to be a fair price and I can quit worrying myself silly about it. (Yes, I feel silly now.) So...I have bought two long arms from them in the last 3 years and recently sent a friend to them who also purchased a long arm. I do feel better supporting my LQS because I also know they will be there to support me.

3. Thanks quiltingaway, Claire Hallman, SallyO'Sews, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you never know until you try
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's hard when there is so much difference in the cost but I think you made the right decision and in the end you will be happier. There is no substitute for product support and a local shop you can contact when or if you have a problem.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notsewfast View Post
    Update: I went to my LQS today and was pleasantly surprised. They gave me a price and when I shared my concerns, they counter-offered. After some back and forth, I got the Amara and frame, the shipping and the set up and some free stuff for the Amara for almost $1000 LESS than what I would have paid online!

I was thrilled because I am getting what I want for what I believe to be a fair price and I can quit worrying myself silly about it. (Yes, I feel silly now.) So...I have bought two long arms from them in the last 3 years and recently sent a friend to them who also purchased a long arm. I do feel better supporting my LQS because I also know they will be there to support me.
    A real win-win! Congratulations on your purchase.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new LA.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sew happy for you! Don't forget to show us some pics of your new machine!