Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with Mom's Kuchen recipe!

Yesterday, I was flipping through my recipes and found Mom's old Apple Kuchen recipe. I haven't made it in years, so I thought I would give it another try. The recipe was copied out of Mom's recipe binder. A lot of Mom's handwritten recipes were light on instructions.

The recipe states that the milk, margarine, sugar and salt should be heated, then cooled to lukewarm. Is the point to heat the mixture just until the margarine melts, or until the sugar & salt dissolve? Due to timing issues, shouldn't the milk mixture be made and cooled before blooming the yeast?

I failed at making the dough twice yesterday. I'm using quick rise yeast because that's what I have in the pantry. I finally figured out I need to bloom the quick rise yeast just like regular yeast. I thought I could bypass that step because it was quick-rise. What can I say? The only time I make bread is when I use my bread machine! (No blooming required!)

I tried making the Kuchen dough in my bread machine years ago. I remember it came out rather tough...my guess is the dough was over-worked in the machine.

Any insight or tips would be much appreciated!

KUCHEN
    1⁄2 cup milk
    1⁄4 cup margarine
    1⁄4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 package yeast
    1 egg, beaten
    2 1⁄4 cups flour
    APPLES
    5 apples, peeled & sliced
    1⁄4 cup sugar
    1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
    CRUMBS
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon

Kuchen: dissolve yeast in warm water and let set 5 minutes. Heat milk, margarine, sugar and salt; let cool to lukewarm. Add yeast, beaten egg and 1 cup flour. Beat well 1 minute. Add remaining flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour or more. Stir down. Spread in a well greased 9 x 13" pan, or two 9" pans. Let rise until nearly double.
    Apples: Cut apples in thick slices. Cook in a small amount of water until almost tender. Drain off water. Add sugar and cinnamon; simmer 5 minutes. Cool. Put apple slices on dough.
    Mix crumb ingredients and sprinkle on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help with Mom's Kuchen recipe!

My Kuchen recipe says just to warm the milk, butter--don't boil and be sure to cool it back down so you don't kill the yeast. You shouldn't need to dissolve the sugar. I haven't made this in years, but your recipe is similar to mine, except I don't simmer the apples in water. I used more cinnamon--I like the smell and taste of cinnamon. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no help but I wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipe!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I looked this up because I thought I had made it before. It was the batter style that I made, like a dutch apple cake I guess.

The step I don't get in yours is adding yeast to water first. I would of skipped that and just add the yeast to the warm milk.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would search online for a similar recipe, see how it's done, then apply those instructions to your mom's recipe.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think your bread machine overworked the dough. Your Mom's recipe let's the dough rise, stirs it down and then spreads the dough in the pan(s). There is nothing in the recipe about kneading the dough. I would also use regular yeast. Heat the liquid until it's quite warm but not simmering and let it cool down. That's enough warmth to dissolve everything. I would prepare the apples first.

7. Thanks Chantal thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to use quick-rise, put ALL the dry ingredients together, including the yeast, at room temp. Heated milk and butter should be between 120-130 degrees when added, to activate and not kill the yeast.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.