Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: WIP Nov 22-28

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP Nov 22-28

Thanksgiving is next week. I am so thankful for quilting and this forum where I can interact with my fellow quilters on line.

This week I finished the last three mariners comp[ass blocks that go in the corners, and completed the first flying geese unit block in the Kaleidoscope Dreams pattern. 15 more flying geese units to go (with 4 geese in each block) and it will be time for the log cabin border.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5308.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	161387

By digging all the way to the bottom of my scrap bins I found 64 unique batik prints for my geese blocks. I am pretty psyched about that.

Whats up in your world this week?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

2. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP Nov 22-28

Denise - your blocks are beautiful. I can't wait to see your finished top. I love batiks.

This week I rented a LA at a LQS about an hour away. Luckily we didn't get the freezing rain and the weather sort of cooperated so it wasn't a stressful drive. I got 2 queen size quilts done. First one was done before the end of first day. I chose a pantograph of stars & loops but I got bored so I added some meandering and hearts since its for my GS. I was easily distracted in the first few rows so there are some areas I need to pick out. I didn't want to do that there. I can fix on my sit-down LA.

The second one I loaded at the end of day 1, so when I got there, it was just get going. It took me about 4 1/2 hrs with a break. There is also an annual deal at this LQS in November. If you spend $350 in store, you get a gift card for one free meter of fabric for 12 months. I did this last year. You can also buy gift certificates. Since the rental is included, I just bought a gift cert and some fabric for the difference. Now I'm thinking I might go back, since I do rent the machine 3-4 times a year, that way, I would get 2 free meters/mth. That would be spending my profits from craft show, something to think about before end of Nov.

I also started cutting up leftover scraps into usable sizes. No plans for them yet, but it will reveal itself - maybe a scrappy Irish chain.

Next projects to do before xmas - a Victoria quilt for a friend's husband going through cancer treatments; an 8' simple valence for my GF (her birthday gift, was in June); bind and make label for the 2 quilts I finished this week, and a felt name wall piece for new baby for another friend. Oh and some microwave bowl cosies for our bank rep & asst. That list looks long, now that I write it down.

I will need to shake off this cold and cough if I want to get all of this done. Happy sewing and quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Golly, ya all are sew busy... hope all your plans go smoothly and you finish that to do list.

I am seeing the end of getting the "barn" quilt done. got the border and binding left on my sons quilt... then I can get it to him b4 Christmas.. Cutting it close, but it is worth it to gift him this work of love.

Name:	wip 1-7 nov.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	161389

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, your quilt is beautiful. What other treasures did you discover when you dove to the bottom of your scrap bins? I love batiks and am currently working on this pattern.

https://gladcreationsquilts.com/products/woven-memories

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had finished my projects and felt a tiny bit lost so I sandwiched the Christmas placemat panel that was a DD a week or two ago. It has not got the first stitch in it since grands came for the weekend and we have made cookies and will make some gnomes later.
    I made a sample yesterday, he turned out cute and only took about 15 min.
    I will add some pictures when the rest are made.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    Denise, your quilt is beautiful. What other treasures did you discover when you dove to the bottom of your scrap bins?[/URL]
    At the very bottom of the last scrap bin I found a piece of the first batik I ever purchased back in 2005. It was just big enough to get one geese unit out of it. It brought back such memories. I had no confidence in picking my own fabrics back then and remember going to my LQS to get help in picking fabric out. I brought the five fabrics I had already selected and the pattern I was going to do and said I needed help finding the sixth fabric. I was amazed and so thankful that the associate walked right over and picked up the perfect complementing fabric which was a purple and pink batik. I happily paid full retail. At the time it was overwhelming. Now it is second nature to me. Such happy memories to see how much I have grown.

As I was digging through the scrap bins I would sometimes remember which quilt the fabric went into and the happy look on the recipients face. Good times.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I love about scrap quilts are the memories associated with each of the fabrics in the quilt. Glad you got to enjoy your trip down memory lane.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I had finished my projects and felt a tiny bit lost so I sandwiched the Christmas placemat panel that was a DD a week or two ago. It has not got the first stitch in it since grands came for the weekend and we have made cookies and will make some gnomes later.
    I made a sample yesterday, he turned out cute and only took about 15 min.
    I will add some pictures when the rest are made.

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	161405
    There are three more that were too shy to be in the photo, lol.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The gnomes are darling , the three that were to shy will be sorrow they didn't join with the others.
    Denise, your quilts are amazing , you certainly know how to put colors together, those blocks really look hard.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished handsewing the binding in the Grand Adventure - Misty Mountain quilt. Now to design and embroider the label and it is ready to give. Do you think it is suitable for a man?

I also have cut and placed the pieces on the design wall for a Victoria quilt. It will be for a girlfriend's husband who has been undergoing surgery, chemo and radiation. I need to have it done by xmas when they will be back in town.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	161417. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	161418

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

19. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post