Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome Friday!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Welcome Friday!

Wow, $350.-400. is more than I've ever paid for LA work. My last large quilt was under $200. She used a pantograph, & did edge-to-edge. Probably won't find it that inexpensive now. I don't have any large quilts in the works. My LAer has sort of retired from her business, but she still quilts for a charity quilting group that has an annual sale. If I do any more large quilts, I'll have to find a new LAer. There are several in my guild.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Wow, $350.-400. is more than I've ever paid for LA work. My last large quilt was under $200. She used a pantograph, & did edge-to-edge. Probably won't find it that inexpensive now. I don't have any large quilts in the works. My LAer has sort of retired from her business, but she still quilts for a charity quilting group that has an annual sale. If I do any more large quilts, I'll have to find a new LAer. There are several in my guild.
    These prices are pretty consistent among LAQs in this region, and we are fortunate there are many to chose from. That's why DH bought us a Sweet 16 after 1 year of quilting. It cost us $1500 CDN to quilt our 5 queen/king size quilts in first year. He figured it would pay for itself in a few years. I think we paid $6000 CDN and it has certainly paid for itself. He quilted his king size one on it, but it takes a bit longer than on a long arm, but I feel these are more personal hands-on quilts. I'm ok doing large ones, but I was getting backed up. I don't like having a lot of tops finished and not quilted.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I paid about $5,000. for my Baby Lock Tiara II LA, which included the 18" extension table and the Gold Standard 3 yr. warranty. It was a floor model the LQS wanted to move so they could display the Tiara III and the framed LA, I think it was called the Coronet. I felt sure with all the quilts I make, it would pay for itself. It wouldn't be practical for me to rent LA time, since I need to be home as much as possible due to my caregiving responsibilities.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, you'll really have sticker shock now. I have a king size quilt at the LA now for custom quilting. The estimate is $725, and I am fine with that. I don't make many quilts, but invest a lot of time piecing complicated patterns. After I have invested so much in quality fabric and time, I want the quilting to enhance what I have done. I am a beginner at FMQ and know that I would be unhappy with my own quilting. So for now, I pay the LA. Someday, when I retire, I hope to have more time to practice FMQ. If I can get to the point where I'm not embarrassed to show it to anyone, I may tackle my own quilts, especially if they are small. I'm pretty sure I would still send large quilts to the LA, though I would consider renting time on a LA and tackling it myself.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I paid more than $400 to have my first king quilt long armed and that made up my mind that if I made tops then I would figure out how to quilt them. I have made a number of kings since and quilted them myself on my Juki sit down long arm and my Viking with an eleven inch throat before I got the Juki. My quilting isn't great but it has improved greatly over time. I have practiced on lots of smaller charity quilts and now am not embarrassed to have my quilting seen. Practice makes lots of difference.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    Joy, you'll really have sticker shock now. I have a king size quilt at the LA now for custom quilting. The estimate is $725, and I am fine with that. I don't make many quilts, but invest a lot of time piecing complicated patterns. After I have invested so much in quality fabric and time, I want the quilting to enhance what I have done. I am a beginner at FMQ and know that I would be unhappy with my own quilting. So for now, I pay the LA. Someday, when I retire, I hope to have more time to practice FMQ. If I can get to the point where I'm not embarrassed to show it to anyone, I may tackle my own quilts, especially if they are small. I'm pretty sure I would still send large quilts to the LA, though I would consider renting time on a LA and tackling it myself.
    The LAQ that do custom charge anywhere between $25 to $60/hr. Some are fast, some are slower. Most.y they have done edge to edge quilting. I've only one that was quilted that way as I thought it really deserved custom. Oh well, live and learn.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, you can come visit me. We'll call and set up an appointment with my favorite long armers. I've not paid over $300 for any sized quilt I've made, and that's including using a higher quality batting.

Morgan's throw, was $86 for the quilting. I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head. I know it's bigger than 5"3" long! lol.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    The LAQ that do custom charge anywhere between $25 to $60/hr. Some are fast, some are slower. Most.y they have done edge to edge quilting. I've only one that was quilted that way as I thought it really deserved custom. Oh well, live and learn.
    In my area, LA pricing is usually done by the size of the quilt. Custom work starts at $.05 per square inch. It doesn't sound like much until you realize that your quilt is more than 11,000 square inches.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    Joy, you can come visit me. We'll call and set up an appointment with my favorite long armers. I've not paid over $300 for any sized quilt I've made, and that's including using a higher quality batting.

Morgan's throw, was $86 for the quilting. I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head. I know it's bigger than 5"3" long! lol.
    Wow, I usually provide my batting as I pick these up when Connecting Threads has a batting sale. If I use their batting, it's not at price like my deals.