• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amartin24
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2014

What is your Quilting Testimony?

I read Sally's new member introduction from Abilene Texas today and thought it was really nice background story as to how and why she came to be a quilter. New member introductions is where this would normally be done but some people might not want to state too much and just say "hi, from ........".
    So, it got me thinking that it might be nice to hear from members (even those who've been on here a long time) about how and why they started quilting and how long they've been quilting. I'll go first. Names are optional.

Hi, my name is Alina and I'm from southern New Jersey. First off, I really enjoy this forum and have learned so much from others on here. I've been encouraged and inspired, touched by stories and blessed by those that are so caring. I've been quilting on/off for 25 years. I enjoyed sewing clothes in my youth. Loved middle school home-ec class and still have my first sewing project - an apron. When I was first married, a coworker told me about a local quilt class his daughter had taken and said I would probably really enjoy quilting. He was right! I loved it from the start. Started taking more classes and did a few retreats. Then 3 kids came along while still working full-time and I really did not have the time for quilting. But, once my kids got a little older and were a bit more independent, I was able to carve out time for quilting and sewing. I love quilting and the awesome creativity of it, as well as the warm feeling of giving things you've made.
    So, what's your story?
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina
  • Cathy F
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: What is your Quilting Testimony?

My story sounds very similar to your. Took, home-etc in school ( our gproject was a wrap around skirt) and from then on made most of my clothes.

I made clothes for my children when they were small, curtains for the house. Then took a quiltng class and was hooked. I also have an embroidery machine and I love that as well.

I love making things for people and seeing the joy it brings them.
    Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• jjkaiser
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

Wasn't that a fun read from Sally? She is a good writer and I enjoyed her story so much. Here is my story.
      My name is Jocelyn and I was born and raised in Greendale, Wis, a suburb of Milwaukee. Married my HS sweetheart 46 yrs ago. I never in a million years planned on or wanted to be a quilter. Flash back to about 35 yrs ago. We lived in a really small town (Hazard, Ky) in the middle of nowhere. I had been working in an ofc full time but then Reagan got elected and the office got shut down when Congress unfunded it. My dh was working alot of hours as a public defender and I was at home, no kids, bored out of my mind. We lived in a house out in the country and this old couple in their 80's lived next door. The man, Dan, was a retired coal miner who was amazing at fixing just about anything and he only went to school to 2nd grade so could not read or write except for his name. Dan had a workshop in his garage, always building things, but mostly I remember his making these wonderful rocking chairs like the kind you see on porches at The Cracker Barrel. One day I got up my nerve to go talk to him, he was kind of a quiet stick to home guy. I walked over and asked him if I could watch him build a chair or could he show me how. He said, "Buldin chairs ain't women's work and no I ain't showin you how. Why don't ya go in the house and see if Polly (his wife) can teach ya somethin in the kitchen." Yes he actually said that!! So then I went and talked to Polly (who could read and write by the way but that couple was old school and she never learned to drive a car, which she said was only for men!) Polly and Dan had raised 10 kids, all grown and moved away by then. That day she was making a quilt so I watched her put pieces together and that's how I got started. She had an ild treadle machine but the only new things she ever bought was needles and thread. Cut up old clothes for her squares and when she ran out people from her church would bring her their worn out clothes to cut. She used old blankets for batting and backing or sometimes sheets from the thrift store. She had no tools to speak of. No cutting mat or rotary cutter. She used an old pair of kitchen scissors or just ripped into strips. She only had one little 12 inch wooden ruler one of her kids had used in school. Alot of her quilts were polyester but she just used what she could get for free. Mostly her quilts were just patchwork squares sewed together not patterns. I made my first quilt that summer but it got lost in one of the many times I have moved. (I got my Mom to mail me care pkgs of fabric a few times or I would get some when I visited home) I only made about 2-3 quilts back then. There was no place to buy fabric there. The only "big store" there was the Montgomery Wards catalog store where you would go in and stand at this long counter, kind of like going to the post office, and hand your written order to the clerk and then about 3 weeks later they would call and tell you to come pick it up. Thinking back about that now, that seems like such a lifetime ago, and another world. But I digress. I stopped quilting when my 3 daughters came along since I was also working too, but they are all grown and I now have 4 grandchildren age 2 months to 8. Got back into quilting about 10 years ago. I retired in January from my job as a health unit clerk at a hospital. Oh, and I am a hand quilter. Partly because I am totally horrible at machine quilting but also discovered hq is my favorite part of making a quilt so I never took the time to really figure out machine quilting. So that's my story, sorry it's so long!! What's your story?
      Jocelyn
      South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

Jocelyn ~ What a delightful story about your 80 y.o. neighbors. I remember Angela Walters sharing she learned from her grandpa.

I learned to sew on my mom's treadle machine. I don't remember if it was a White or a Singer. I also took Home Ec. I remember making a gathered skirt. I still have the pair of scissors my parents bought me for that class. I'm sure it was money they sacrificed something else for, since my dad was a pastor of small churches & didn't get paid much. But they lived through the Depression & learned to pinch pennies. I remember making some doll clothes & also piecing some fabric squares.

As an adult, I made a few baby quilts, but they were squares cut with scissors using a brown paper bag "template", one block at a time. Most of the quilts were enveloped & hand tied. I didn't "take up quilting" until after my retirement, when I took a beginner's class at our LQS. It was a whole new terminology & acquisition of the right tools -- rotary cutter, seam ripper, rulers, cutting mat, etc. My first quilt was the sampler we made in class & I finished at home. That still is one of my UFO's. It's waiting to be quilted. IMO, it had some rather difficult blocks for a beginner.

Over the years I've built my fabric stash, acquired more tools, & made many quilts -- first for family, then for charity & gifts. My first big project was a queen size quilt for my gr. dau's wedding. I learned so much making that quilt. Since I was just learning, I used inexpensive fabrics from Walmart. I probably should make her another one out of good quality fabrics.

It's my goal to make a quilt for all the new babies at my church. We've had a lot of babies over the past few years! It keeps me busy.

Getting a laptop & having internet access to so many quilt patterns, watching videos on quilt making, FMQ, etc. broadened my horizons. After I discovered M*, I keep wanting to try many of the new patterns Jenny demo's. I have at least 19 pieced tops waiting to be quilted. I have finished blocks for at least 3 other quilts that are waiting to be assembled. So many UFOs!! My piecing & quilting time is limited since I'm caregiver for DH who is in poor health & has chronic problems (nothing terminal).

I started learning FMQ in 2012 on my DSM. Now I quilt with a Baby Lock Tiara II, which is a table LA. It was well worth the money.

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

Hello my story about patchwork is a bit different. My mother specialiced in men´s clothing and especially pants, which at that time was all tailored, then my sister became a teacher of cutting and sewing and I studied and worked in an office, but I got married and had two daughters at I wanted to make dresses and cardigans so I learned to sew and knit, but in the 70s I started buying pattern magazines and one of the most famous was "Burda" a wonderful German publication, and in it I started to see things of patchwork but I didn´t know anyone who could teach me. So I had to wait untill 2006 that in the House of culture of my town they formed a group to learn this method, and I can say that I had a very good teacher who taught me many things, but since I was in this forum I have continued to learn new techniques, so thanks to all the fabulous people who form this forum for allowing me to enter their homes and share a little of life. Well I didn´t show up, my name is Rosario and live in a town in the Basque Country

Comment

• MaggieSue
            Missouri Star
            • Sep 2015

I am MaggieSue and I have been sewing since 4 H many years ago. As a young Mother made all of mine and my children's clothes. Then in the 70's it was more expensive to make clothes than to purchase at a store. I continued to do crafts macramé, knitting, crocheting, and counted cross stitch. I found an alphabet cross stitch pattern late 90's. That began my quilting journey. After completing all of the squares, I made a quilt. I keep that to remind me how far I have come on my quilting journey. I now have an embroidery machine (much faster than cross stitch) and do baby quilts, table toppers, coasters, and memory bears.

Comment

• KPH
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

I started my quilting journey after I retired. We had moved in to care for my mom. Getting out wasn't really feasible and I needed something to do. Two of my best friends were quilters. They both encouraged me to start. I found Jenny's tutorials and I haven't looked back.

Quilting provided me an escape when I felt trapped caring for Mom. It's given me something to occupy my mind since losing Mom and Howard both.

I honestly don't know what I'll do if I lose my vision to the point where I can't quilt or paint. I'm already nuts, so I guess I'll go bananas next.
              Katrina
              From NC, retired in FL
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Thanks Alina for kicking off this thread. I live in the suburbs of Canada's capital. I was raised about an hour away, and moved here when I finished college. I started sewing when I was 10 or 11, taking a class to make an a-line skirt. That kicked off my sewing journey. By the time I had home economics in junior high, the teacher had me helping others. I made all my own clothes into early 20s. I even made clothes for others while in school , which gave me more money to buy fabric. My dad's hobby was upholstering and also a side business. I helped him and also would order some fabrics for some unique and runway-type clothing, jackets. I was thin and lanky like Twiggy and replicated a lot of her fashions. When I had kids, I started sewing again -- Halloween costumes, home decor items such as curtains, cushions, requests from the kids for cool pants and dresses. My daughter took sewing lessons from age 7 until university, so she can sew but has little time with 3 kids.

As a kid, I would sleep under a crazy patch quilt made of velvets, satins and wool when I visited my grandma. This was special to me. While that quilt was lost over the years, I knew that when I retired I wanted to learn to quilt. So I took a series of classes a few after I stopped working, and I was hooked. My first quilt was kingsize, even though the class was to make a throw. You get my drift. I made 13 quilts the first year, 3 of which were King size. My husband also got the bug and has made several large quilts. He hasn't sewn in over a year, mostly because he's got too many hobbies and sport interests. My passion has been sewing and I am obsessed with quilting. I also volunteer with Victoria Quilts Canada where we make quilts to donate to cancer patients undergoing treatments. This keeps me busy, but very grateful for good health.

I have a lot of quilts made, but not gifted. My grandkids, 6 of them under 7 of age, have all received one or two quilts. Our kids have not yet. Eventually will get around to it. My style is traditional, with modern fabrics.

I
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

This is such a fun read!

I’ve been a garment sewer since age 10. My mother was an excellent seamstress, she made beautiful suits, coats and dresses for herself, her kids and other members of her family. I watched her and naturally want to do it, too. When she got a new White sewing machine in the ‘50s ( beautiful turquoise!) she move the old black machine into a hallway by my room! Aha, now it’s Mine to use!

I remember sewing my school picnic outfit for 5th grade on my own, with some advice from mom, which of course I didn’t follow! Remember her words to this day ( along with others) when I go against her excellent advice!

Mom of three, went back to college at age 38 to get a bachelors and masters and administrative certification and taught elementary school for 28 years. Then college for 7-1/2.

I sewed constantly since my start in 5th grade, made my wedding dress, all the kids baby and toddler clothes, costumes for Halloween, draperies for my homes. I didn’t start to quilt until I had grandkids, the oldest is 16. When I found Missouri Star, I was trying to learn how to MAKE the Missouri Star quilt block. Hamilton, Mo is on the road I take to visit my son in Iowa, so I took a short detour in 2011 and met Jenny in the old shop and she gave me a paper piecing pattern for the Missouri Star. I still have the jelly roll I bought on that first trip ( not made up, of course!). I found the forum later that year, officially joined in January 2012 and the rest is history!

I began costuming in 2007 as a newly widowed adjunct professor at the local community college. Have costumed over 60 shows since then. So now quilting, costuming and bag making now mean my home is full of merchandise, my closets are full of fabric, and my craft room is full of machines. And my time each day is spent in the sewing room which (usually) brings me great joy! My oldest daughter, who had no interest in sewing until a few years ago, is now sharing my passion and we are about to spend 10 days together sewing and crafting over the Thanksgiving holiday. She was just with me this past weekend and made her first t shirt quilt for her husband!

Missouri Star has given my so many opportunities to meet friends from all over the world! Two special members have visited me several times in the past! Andrea and Klasien! Love them and their sweet husbands so much. Plus so many friends who have met face to face at our 7 forum retreats! Plus the lovely Doan Family! It’s all part of my quilting Journey!

Thanks for listening to my quilting story!
                  Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; November 21, 2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Bubby
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2011

I grew up as a young child under my great-grandmother's pull-down quilting frame each Tuesday when a few ladies came together to make quilts for missionaries . I was expected to be quiet and nap a little while the ladies quilted. Several of them used to slip me penny candy or gum.

I learned to sew around the age of 5 on my grandma's treadle machine. I was too short to reach the treadle so she did it by hand for me while I guided the fabric. Now that's love in action. From there I began sewing and I also learned to knit and do a little embroidery. My Grammy helped me make an embroidered scripture quilt. She wrote the words and I did the embroidery. My Grammy was quite concerned about my young soul and she was quite specific about the scriptures and other words she wrote out for me to sew. The fabrics in the quilt were from aprons and worn-out house dresses.

I don't remember a time when I haven't been sewing. I sewed for myself, my sisters and my daughter. I made my first quilt from start to finish by myself at age 14 and I have been quilting since then, nearly 60 years. Quilting is my passion, my comfort and the way I share love and concern for others.

Below are a few blocks from the scripture quilt my Grammy and I made. I was missing my Daddy, who was away in the war, so one block is a reminder for me to pray for him daily. This is one of my favorite quilts.

SQ1.jpg SQ2.jpg SQ3.jpg
                    Last edited by Bubby; November 21, 2019, 07:42 AM.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Bubby
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                      My story sounds very similar to your. Took, home-etc in school ( our gproject was a wrap around skirt) and from then on made most of my clothes.

I made clothes for my children when they were small, curtains for the house. Then took a quiltng class and was hooked. I also have an embroidery machine and I love that as well.

I love making things for people and seeing the joy it brings them.
                      Cathy, Our project was a gored skirt. Mine was mint green. That was the first real zipper I put in a garment.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• MRoy
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2011

I taught myself to sew as a teenager using my mom's 1890's second hand Singer treadle machine (that I still have). I'd taken a home-ec class as a high school freshman and didn't care for it so I decided to teach myself. I made my dress for my senior prom and my wedding dress on that treadle machine. I did garment sewing for many years until the cost of patterns, etc, got so high that it was often more cost effective for me to buy ready-made.

My mom was a quilter, piecing and quilting by hand. I'd watch her working, but I didn't feel I had the patience for all that hand work. I didn't start quilting myself until about 7 years ago when I decided to try to make quilts for my two grandchildren. I still don't have much patience to do handwork, so I do all machine piecing, quilting, and binding. I make quilts for family and friends and many donation quilts.
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• geegeequilts
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2015

So many interesting & fun facts to learn! Here's mine: I loved doing crafts that involved a lot of time consuming parts being glued, sewn or painted. That involved patience that I learned over time. My niece-in-law made my MIL a simple patchwork quilt & I thought "I can do that." I had quit doing crafts due to the death of my crafting furbaby, Little Bit. She slept in between the legs of my office chair & I always had to be careful when I moved around. When I began quilting I thought how hard could that be? Not hard but did require "patience" that my Mom said I didn't have. My first quilt was pretty colors but simple pattern. Second quilt pretty colored fabric & still simple pattern. The actual quilting? OMG! I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING! It was awful but my baby sister loved it. I've been quilting for nearly 15 years & love it! When another furbaby, Lady a beautiful party colored Cocker Spaniel, passed away, if Jerry hadn't gone in with me I probably would've quit quilting. Lady always slept under my sewing table. I admire all of you that hand quilt (Monique) I would love to try but now my hands are having issues with arthritis. I give away all my quilts to those I love, friends & family alike. Ironically, my Mom had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's before I started quilting, & died 8 years ago, but I hear her voice saying remember to take your time. OMG! UI miss her so but I know she'd been so proud of me for taking on something like quilting.

And no, I do not like making clothes. THAT was way too much for my poor patience level. You guys that do, I bow & curtsy to you.

So let's hear more stories from you.

Gina

Comment

• Cathy F
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                            Cathy, Our project was a gored skirt. Mine was mint green. That was the first real zipper I put in a garment.
                            LOL Barb, mine was olive green denim type fabric. The home ec dept had a huge bolt of it and many girls passed each other in the halls wearing the same one!
                            Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• MSN
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2017

This may be my favorite thread ever on this (or any other) forum. Your stories are all so interesting, and I've learned more about each of you who have shared your story.

Comment

Working...
                              X