Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is your Quilting Testimony?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    My story sounds very similar to your. Took, home-etc in school ( our gproject was a wrap around skirt) and from then on made most of my clothes.

I made clothes for my children when they were small, curtains for the house. Then took a quiltng class and was hooked. I also have an embroidery machine and I love that as well.

I love making things for people and seeing the joy it brings them.
    Cathy, Our project was a gored skirt. Mine was mint green. That was the first real zipper I put in a garment.

2. Thanks pcbatiks, Old Newbie, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I taught myself to sew as a teenager using my mom's 1890's second hand Singer treadle machine (that I still have). I'd taken a home-ec class as a high school freshman and didn't care for it so I decided to teach myself. I made my dress for my senior prom and my wedding dress on that treadle machine. I did garment sewing for many years until the cost of patterns, etc, got so high that it was often more cost effective for me to buy ready-made.

My mom was a quilter, piecing and quilting by hand. I'd watch her working, but I didn't feel I had the patience for all that hand work. I didn't start quilting myself until about 7 years ago when I decided to try to make quilts for my two grandchildren. I still don't have much patience to do handwork, so I do all machine piecing, quilting, and binding. I make quilts for family and friends and many donation quilts.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

4. Thanks pcbatiks, Old Newbie, MSN, auntiemern, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So many interesting & fun facts to learn! Here's mine: I loved doing crafts that involved a lot of time consuming parts being glued, sewn or painted. That involved patience that I learned over time. My niece-in-law made my MIL a simple patchwork quilt & I thought "I can do that." I had quit doing crafts due to the death of my crafting furbaby, Little Bit. She slept in between the legs of my office chair & I always had to be careful when I moved around. When I began quilting I thought how hard could that be? Not hard but did require "patience" that my Mom said I didn't have. My first quilt was pretty colors but simple pattern. Second quilt pretty colored fabric & still simple pattern. The actual quilting? OMG! I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING! It was awful but my baby sister loved it. I've been quilting for nearly 15 years & love it! When another furbaby, Lady a beautiful party colored Cocker Spaniel, passed away, if Jerry hadn't gone in with me I probably would've quit quilting. Lady always slept under my sewing table. I admire all of you that hand quilt (Monique) I would love to try but now my hands are having issues with arthritis. I give away all my quilts to those I love, friends & family alike. Ironically, my Mom had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's before I started quilting, & died 8 years ago, but I hear her voice saying remember to take your time. OMG! UI miss her so but I know she'd been so proud of me for taking on something like quilting.

And no, I do not like making clothes. THAT was way too much for my poor patience level. You guys that do, I bow & curtsy to you.

So let's hear more stories from you.

Gina

6. Thanks pcbatiks, Old Newbie, MSN, auntiemern, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    Cathy, Our project was a gored skirt. Mine was mint green. That was the first real zipper I put in a garment.
    LOL Barb, mine was olive green denim type fabric. The home ec dept had a huge bolt of it and many girls passed each other in the halls wearing the same one!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

8. Thanks pcbatiks, Old Newbie, MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This may be my favorite thread ever on this (or any other) forum. Your stories are all so interesting, and I've learned more about each of you who have shared your story.

10. Thanks pcbatiks, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stories....this is the passion!

I learned to embroider by my aunt when I was 8 and every summer for years, my mother would bleach/wash old "chicken sacks" to make her kitchen towels. My two sisters and I would embroider the Aunt Martha designs on the bottom of the towels during the summer vacation from school and have something to occupy our time.
    I first learned to sew in 4-H when I was 10; by the time I was in high school, I took 3 years of Home Ec and was sewing my own clothes. After I married and was pregnant with my first child, I sewed all of my maternity clothes.
    I didn't start quilting until 1992 (28 yrs old, I am now 55) and what a ride of progression that has been in the last 27 years! I took a few classes on FMQ and went to workshops that would show different techniques in quilting variation. It has always been my goal to learn what I can and broaden my horizons!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

12. Thanks Granny Judy, pcbatiks, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so in 2015 I was researching for my "other " hobby , model railroading and was looking for a quilt shop to model for my layout. I did the norm and Googled searched. Looking at all the images, one was MSQC, and the rest is history. I looked at the videos and it was like eating potato chips, could not have just one. Next day took out my sewing machine and tried one block, 20 minutes later on my way to Joanne's.

Have been quilting since and even joined a guild who I have been president for the last 2 years.

Love Jenny, MSQC and of course, this forum.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

14. Thanks Granny Judy, pcbatiks, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started learning to sew in upper grade school.........from watching my mom. She would show me different things while she was sewing clothes. I took Home Ec in Jr. high & high school......but I learned more at home than I did in those classes. I bought a quilting book on vacation while I was high school.......but never did much with it. Looking back now I think it was the styles of quilts that did not inspire me.

At some point in high school I made a simple quilt of blocks out of........heaven forbid.....Double Knit......I know.......what was I thinking. It was twin size, tied & weighed a ton!! I can't stand that type of fabric now......it gives me the willies ......but I still have the quilt. After I got married I would sew clothes for me, my DH & our son when he was small.

Didn't try quilting again until the summer/fall of 2011. Our nest was empty & I needed something to keep me occupied....so I started thinking about quilting. As you know it can be an expensive hobby but I saw a garage sale listed with quilting fabric. I went to the sale........bought 2 small boxes of assorted scraps & some quilting magazines & books. I was so happy...this would give me a good start. But what really got me motivated was........while looking through fabric at the garage sale......I told the lady that I really liked the batiks. We talked a little & then she told me she had some more batik scraps that she could part with. She gave me a large ziploc full for $1........I was in heaven!! She said "anything to encourage a new quilter". What completely pushed me over the edge was when she showed me a batik quilt that she was working on. It was gorgeous........and I was drooling! My 1st thought after gasping when I saw it was..."I have to make one of those!" I brought my treasures home, sorted my scraps that night & by the time I was done........I had and idea for my 1st & 2nd quilt! Been hooked every since!!!! I have mentioned this garage sale story before but it was what really got me moving into quilting!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

16. Thanks Granny Judy, MSN, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

"Anything to encourage a new quilter." Oh, how sweet, and what a great example of the unselfishness of the quilting community. Not only do we love making and sharing quilts, we want others to feel the joy of creating, too.

18. Thanks Granny Judy, pcbatiks, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your stories! I admire all the ways we have found into this artistry. Here is mine.

I had a home ec class in late grade school and I just could not understand how to read a pattern, and the instructions. My family did not sew, and I had no context for phrase like “wrong side” and “ease fabric”. I also have always had trouble figuring right and left. The zipper on the skirt I was making seemed like an impossible task. I struggled, and decided I just could not sew. This makes me so sad today. A little 12 year old shutting a door. I try to remember this event as a teacher, and work hard to keep options open for my students. I should also say the bobbin was, and really still is, my enemy. I just hated that bobbin as a 12 year old.
    I loved, and still do, math and geometry. I loved, and still do, looking at quilt blocks and noticing the pattern. I was drawn to quilts because of this, and would visit fabric shops and museums that had quilts because I loved this public art and craftsmanship. But I thought creating was beyond me.
    So years go by. I do simple crafts with my children. I become very adept and creative with certain software. I learn techniques about color and design on the computer. I actually feel like I am creative on a computer. This was a huge discovery for me.
    I continue visiting fabric stores to see quilting, and discover jelly rolls. They fascinate me. I think I can hand sew a quilt at least, and purchase a couple. But hand sewing just takes too long. And my seams are not consistent. So I set the simple rail fence idea aside. I didn’t know it was called a rail fence, I just figured out the pattern. I saw quilt books and pattern books, but my struggles with patterns in homeec keep me from looking at them.
    Finally, after about 40 years of looking at quilts, I do watch some videos and discover Jenny. She made this look easy, and I really want to try. I like a shortcut, and Jenny was full of them. The videos give me instructions in context and I now understand “wrong side” and “ease”. A dear friend tells me sewing machines are now computerized. Since I am so familiar with computers, my fear eases a bit. The drop in bobbin really surprises me. I take the plunge and buy an inexpensive Brother machine and 4 charm packs and a jelly roll.
    I learn piecing from a Jenny, Pinterest and you all. My lifetime investment in quilt looking really helps in understanding of block construction. I am way older than 12 now, and understand mistakes are how I learn. I have made many quilts in the last 5 years or so. Just this fall, with videos, I learned how to put in a zipper, and have made a few pieces of clothing for a baby. So maybe I will find that unfinished skirt from many years ago in homeec and finish it!

20. Thanks Granny Judy, pcbatiks thanked for this post