Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from Abilene, Texas!

Hello everyone. I am a 58 year old new quilting addict. Rehab will be rejected as I am having way too much fun but never in a million years did I think I would fall victim to this illness. I am married, have two children, three grands, two horses, a pony, six cows, three dogs, two birds and a tank of fish...yes, I’m a bit of an animal person. I still work full time but am looking forward to retirement as a eagerly as a dog who knows that eventually Mom will give in and give him that steak bone...drool and all.

Sewing,quilting, knitting, needlepoint, petit point, etc. have always been in my life, as my mother was extremely good at it and I spent hours watching in amazement at the wonderful things her hands could produce.....and I had absolutely no interest in it doing it myself whatsoever. I was an outdoor, horsey girl and far too cool for such old fashioned pursuits. The extent of my sewing, in entirety, was a gym bag in home ec in junior high, a tshirt Mom MADE me sew around the same time and four sets of drapes made over the years from sheets for my children’s rooms. Oh, the Tshirt had a bloody JAWS iron on image on the front...Mom was not impressed and gave up on my sewing. “It worked, yay!” After determining I had ten left thumbs, she gave up on trying to teach me to knit as well. “Yay!” She kept telling me that once I had kids, that I would regret not learning these things...yeah, well, not so much.

I have two children, a girl who is 33 and a son who is 29 and not once did I regret it. Then, a couple things occurred. First, I started getting older and my body quit enjoying riding my horses as much as it used to and secondly, my kids got married and started having babies. My first grandson arrived and I had a twinge of regret that I didn’t know how to quilt. But when the first granddaughter came along, the urge to sew jumpers and tops and cute little shorts overcame me. So I pulled out my mother’s 1976 Bernina, got an “easy” Simplicity pattern and started to teach myself to sew. All I can say is that yes, I have made a few things that I think are passable and my granddaughter has some cute outfits that my daughter in law isn’t embarrassed to put her in when they go out in public. However, whoever writes the instructions for “easy, simple” sewing patterns for beginners should be fired immediately because they do a really lousy job of it.

But I digress. I enjoyed sewing clothing but I wanted to do something different so I bought a beginner’s quilting book. The hook was set and I was caught...hook, line and sinker. Once I got started picking fabrics, collecting notions, sitting in front of that machine and producing something from what was bits and pieces, a sense of peace, purpose and a bit of pride came over me. I felt my mom at my shoulder for the first time in 30 years and it felt so wonderful I cannot even describe it. I am on my fourth project in 2 1/2 months and am loving every minute of it, even when I’m cussing and ripping out a seam for the third time.

Sorry for being so long winded but there is the story of how I’ve come to this place in my life. Teaching myself to quilt and feeling that connection to my mother have become a compulsion that I have no desire to squelch so I am skipping forward with glee and giddiness over my new hobby. Now, I must close and go have a serious discussion with a walking foot over proper behavior....oh how I wish my mother were here. She could whip that cantankerous little reprobate into shape in two seconds flat but alas, it is only I so it might take a couple hours or days...who knows. But I don’t care! It’s fun!

Thanks for taking the time to wade through my ramblings.

Sally

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello from Abilene, Texas!

Welcome to the forum Sally

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sally, I thoroughly enjoyed your introduction to quilting. You have given me hope that someday my only daughter will find the joy of needlecraft (hopefully before I die). You are gladly welcome to the forum.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to getting to “know” folks!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fran View Post
    Sally, I thoroughly enjoyed your introduction to quilting. You have given me hope that someday my only daughter will find the joy of needlecraft (hopefully before I die). You are gladly welcome to the forum.
    Thanks Fran, I’ll keep my fingers crossed that she does!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from New Orleans, LA! We, too, wish it could be your mom, but you'll find many helpful folks here on your quilting travels.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Sally and welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! You will love this forum and meet so many new friends. Don't be shy about asking questions or giving your opinions, that's what it's all about here. I liked reading your story of how you got here. I also didn't start quilting until after my Mom died and I often think she would be amazed and surprised at some of the quilts I have made.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sally, welcome to the BEST forum around! What you know will be added to what you will learn from everyone here. No question is too silly, crazy or stupid. Ask away! I have 2 kids as well, son is 45 & daughter, 42. No grands unless you count furkitties & furdoggies. I taught myself quilting. I'm mostly a stitch in the ditcher but I enjoy quilting. I never enjoyed sewing clothes but LOVE quilting. Love your horses.

And by the way, ramble here anytime. Happy, sad or just want to vent. This is the place.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from New Jersey! I enjoyed reading your story - it helps us get to know you. Don't be afraid to ask questions as it is how we all learn. Folks on this forum are kind, encouraging and caring. Welcome aboard!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from sunny Florida. As quilty friends have already said, this is a wonderful place to learn and grow.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou