Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Singer Walking Foot Problem

Help! I am a quilting newbie so Iím not sure if I have a crummy walking foot or this is just user error so I am hoping someone can give me some guidance. I have a Singer 4452 and the appropriate Singer walking foot. The problem: when quilting a sandwich with the walking foot, (cotton top and backing with cotton batting) the top fabric is pushed forward creating puckers and completely knocking everything out of wack. The foot is on correctly with the bar over the right needle screw and the attachment screw good and tight. I have tried lowering the presser foot tension and lengthening my stitches to no avail but I donít know what else to try. Any suggestions or ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sally

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Singer Walking Foot Problem

It sounds like you have already tried the most probable solution of lowering the presser foot tension and lengthening the stitches. What basting method did you use? If pin basted, maybe pin closer together. If you used a temporary adhesive spray for a baste did you heat set the adhesive? Try positioning your hands around the walking foot in a hoop to help take some of the weight of the walking foot.

Are the puckers really bad (say more than 1/8 of an inch) or just annoying ( probably won't show are you wash and dry the quilt)?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at some YouTube videos and didn't see any trouble shooting ones in particular, but maybe if you watched a few you might spot a missed set up somewhere. My machine had free classes at the dealer. If you did buy from one I would take it back for a free hands on.

Trouble shooting tips and Q&A
    https://www.singer.com/troubleshooting-tips

Lorie

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Go to youTube type in quilting walking foot problems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-rFXSiWbg
    Last edited by ktdid; November 20th, 2019 at 07:31 AM.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

A walking foot has two independent functions with moving parts. One is the teeth (dogs) for moving the fabric, and (two) the presser foot flats. They are timed to operate properly- The pressure plates raise after the needle comes out of the fabric, and the feed is engaged in time with the feed dogs on your machine. You can visually check this. Install the foot and without fabric watch the action. Turn the hand-wheel and watch the feed dogs. The bottom and top dogs should engage at the same time. The pressure plates must raise slightly before the feed dogs move and stay up for the entire stroke.

Your Singer uses a generic walking foot, branded for Singer so they can price it accordingly. It's not specific to your Singer. Generic walking foot assemblies have timing all over the place depending on which sewing machine it's installed on. They re adjustable but why bother? BTW- if you watched the video ktdid linked to, that Bernina foot cost more than your 4452 Singer.

Too much hype these days on walking feet. The only one that's "close" is the IDT on Pfaff. I use a delrin presser foot and it's far better at advancing the fabric than most walking feet I've come across, even the $225 Bernina foot.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

6. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I followed oldmanquilts advice and visually checked every action without any fabric. The feed dogs on the walking foot were not moving. After jiggling them around a bit, I got them to move and they are “timed” again as best as I can tell. I sewed a practice run with it and all was well...only time will tell if it continues to work!

Thanks again!

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! I took your advice and removed the fabric and watched the action. The feed dogs were not moving at all. Jiggled them around a bit and they started working again. Have my fingers crossed that they continue to work!!

Sally

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Well crud...it worked until it didnít. Guess Iím going to have to buy a new one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well the bright side is that's not a Babylock. They are expensive as you know what and you have to go to a dealer!. You will be happy when you have the right one

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    Too much hype these days on walking feet. The only one that's "close" is the IDT on Pfaff. I use a delrin presser foot and it's far better at advancing the fabric than most walking feet I've come across, even the $225 Bernina foot.
    I've never heard of a delrin presser foot. Can you tell us more about what this is, why you chose it, and where you purchased it? Thx
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina