Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Laura Heine Collage Quilt Question

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    Look out, Lorie, they can be addictive!

I can see where they could! I just watched several videos on her technique and looked at her website. The problem I'm having is that her patterns are so big, and the kits are so expensive.

Has anyone printed out their own (like I have a chicken from a quilt mag) and made one?

I found out something interesting about the kits. She allows the certified teachers/shop owners to put the kits together with fabrics of their own choosing.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I made a couple of her fish but scaled them down to 90% size of the original. If you have an understanding of the technique, I think you should definitely try making a collage of an original design. If you are trying to stay small, make sure your fabric strips are of appropriate size (skinny). You will want a lot of strips to choose from. I have made three fish from the strips I cut before my class, and have used perhaps half of those strips. But when you're sitting there arranging the strips, you want lots to choose from.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I can see where they could! I just watched several videos on her technique and looked at her website. The problem I'm having is that her patterns are so big, and the kits are so expensive.

Has anyone printed out their own (like I have a chicken from a quilt mag) and made one?

I found out something interesting about the kits. She allows the certified teachers/shop owners to put the kits together with fabrics of their own choosing.
    You really only need outlines of what you what you want to do. I wanted a baby giraffe, to add to LH large giraffe pattern that I bought. I printed a pic of the baby I liked off the internet. Traced just it's outline into a sheet of paper, and had Kinkos enlarge it to the size I wanted. cost $3. I''m not talented enough to just draw it out.
    Diana Grey

4. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Lady View Post
    You really only need outlines of what you what you want to do. I wanted a baby giraffe, to add to LH large giraffe pattern that I bought. I printed a pic of the baby I liked off the internet. Traced just it's outline into a sheet of paper, and had Kinkos enlarge it to the size I wanted. cost $3. I''m not talented enough to just draw it out.

Did you finish it? I took a peek in your albums. I saw you did a QAYG bag. Very nice. I need to figure out how to watch her video again.

Lorie