Juki 2010q makes 2-3 stitches after I let off the pedal or press needle down button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Last_Unicorn
    Batting Beauty
    • May 2016

Juki 2010q makes 2-3 stitches after I let off the pedal or press needle down button

I haven't sewn in a few weeks. I oiled the machine and turned it on to do a small project, but I noticed the machine is taking longer to stop sewing. It used to simply complete the last stitch or one more stitch. Now, if I let off the pedal, the machine makes 2-3 full stitches before it finally stops. The same thing happens if I press the needle up/down button. Has anyone had this happen before?
  • GuitarGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: Juki 2010q makes 2-3 stitches after I let off the pedal or press needle down button

I have the Juki 98E, but I've not seen a lag in stopping. That has got to be frustrating.

My only suggestion is to unplug your foot pedal and clean it. Of course, a foot pedal problem wouldn't explain the "needle up/down" problem. Perhaps some fuzz is "upsetting" the internal wiring.
    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
      Batting Beauty
      • May 2016

Re: Juki 2010q makes 2-3 stitches after I let off the pedal or press needle down button

Oh no. Now it's even weirder. The needle up/down button now randomly decided whether the needle ends up or down. Same with regular stitching - might end with needle down or needle up. The cut thread button just makes the machine make a few stitches, and doesn't cut the thread at all.

Edit: gonna try and give it a thorough cleaning. I'll make some calls to Juki and/or a repairman tomorrow to see what's up.

Comment

• pcbatiks
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

It may be something with the foot pedal. My older machine did something like that and it was the connection in the foot pedal.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

Keep us posted. I think giving your Juki a good cleaning may fix the problem. It's a mechanical machine, so dust bunnies in the wrong places can wreak havoc.
          Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• oldmanquilts
            Designer Diva
            • May 2018

Actually this machine is not a fully "mechanical" machine. It's missing some functions of what we consider to be "sewing computers," but some of the functions and features are controlled electronically. The only thing missing really is the control of more than a straight stitch. We tend to think of "straight stitch machines" as being mechanical.

The speed control, needle up/down, thread cutter and foot pedal are all electronic controls with circuit boards, sensors and stepper motors to perform these tasks. Who knows where the problem lies, but the symptoms mentioned are most likely the result of a failing electronic component. Leave it to the Jukiman.

I hope it's fairly new because Juki only warrants electronic components on these for two years.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
              Actually this machine is not a fully "mechanical" machine. It's missing some functions of what we consider to be "sewing computers," but some of the functions and features are controlled electronically. The only thing missing really is the control of more than a straight stitch. We tend to think of "straight stitch machines" as being mechanical.

The speed control, needle up/down, thread cutter and foot pedal are all electronic controls with circuit boards, sensors and stepper motors to perform these tasks. Who knows where the problem lies, but the symptoms mentioned are most likely the result of a failing electronic component. Leave it to the Jukiman.

I hope it's fairly new because Juki only warrants electronic components on these for two years.
              Thank you for explaining this! You've answered some nagging questions I've had about the Juki. What you've said makes complete sense and answers my questions. I apologize for my mis-statements.

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                Batting Beauty
                • May 2016

Last night, I emailed the online store that I bought the machine from. I got a call from one of their technicians this morning and he let me know that my machine is still under warranty (yay 5 year extended warranty!) and that it does sound like a problem with an electronic component. Glad I saved the original box, because I'm going to send off my dear Princess Juki to be repaired.

In the meantime, I'm going to be using my backup machine, a Brother cs6000i. I won't be FMQing anything larger than a pot holder, but I'll still be able to piece and applique.

I'll update this thread as I get more info about the repairs. Maybe it will be useful to someone who has the same problem in the future.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

I'm so glad to hear that you are still under warranty! You must feel quite relieved.

Yes, please do post an update. I'd love to hear what happens.

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                    Batting Beauty
                    • May 2016

I heard back from the technician that it was the motherboard all along. I asked what seemed to have caused the malfunction, and he said it may have been that I oiled the machine a little too much, and some of the oil got on the motherboard. Also, they just sometimes go bad. Everything is fixed now and it's already on its way back to me.

When and how much to oil the Juki 2010 has always been a little confusing. According to the manual, you do a few drops in each oil hole after every 8hrs of sewing time. Back when I did that, excess oil would seep through the buttons and the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine. I scaled back to one drop or maybe two instead, but it seems like that was also too much. I must have been oiling too often in the end. It's harder to quantify sewing time when it comes to piecing because I stop to cut apart and press my units.

Comment

• bubba
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2013

I oil mine every three bobbins. Normally just one drop per hole.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                        Batting Beauty
                        • May 2016

Bubba - I'm going to try that from now on. Do you use the Juki Defrix oil #1, or a different brand of machine oil?

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                          Batting Beauty
                          • May 2016

My Juki is already returned home. It's in perfect working order! What a relief. I bought the machine from Sew Vac Direct. Honoring the warranty and getting the repairs done through them was quick and hassle-free. I'd definitely recommend them if you're looking into buying a machine online

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

Glad your machine is fixed & working wonderfully now. My first Viking went out just a few days from the 5 yr. warranty period. It was the mother board. The LQS replaced it at no charge. Whew, saved by the bell! I was instructed when I bought my Vikings to never oil them. I do use the machine oil for my Baby Lock Tiara II table LA. Very sparingly, maybe every 3rd bobbin.

Comment

Working...
                            X