Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

quilting for embroidery machine on sale

sigpic
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: quilting for embroidery machine on sale

For those of you who do this, how do you hoop a bulky quilt? And how does the machine move with all that bulk on the pantograph arm? And do you add stabilizer? It is intriguing to think of doing quilting using the embroidery machine. I’d love to hear how you do it.

Comment

• Granny Fran
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2014

So far I have only used my embroidery machine (4x4) on table runners. If you support the item to be embroidered it should no have any trouble while stitching. The other way would to quilt in sections and then join into a larger quilt when finished.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        For those of you who do this, how do you hoop a bulky quilt? And how does the machine move with all that bulk on the pantograph arm? And do you add stabilizer? It is intriguing to think of doing quilting using the embroidery machine. I’d love to hear how you do it.
        I don't have an embroidery machine any longer but when I did have, I used it to quilt.
        I only used the lower hoop and attached the sandwich with binder clips in the corners away from the needle path, no stabilizer. I have a large table to sit a machine on and puddled the quilt around the machine to eliminate drag.
        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Rhonda K
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2017

I use a magnetic hoop without any stabilizer.
          Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Squeaky
            Applique Angel
            • Aug 2012

And how does the machine move with all that bulk on the pantograph arm?
            I've seen a bit of how it's done on Becky Thompson's You Tube channel - Power Tools With Thread. She has a "system" that uses bungees and clips to keep the drag off while it's going, but it looks like it takes up half her room when it's all set up. I suppose it's similar to the systems that Leah Day was using for quilting free motion on a domestic.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

Hi Jean! I do Edge-to-Edge embroidery quilting using designs from Amelie Scott Designs. To facilitate this, I bought a DIME Monster Hoop. This is a perfectly flat "hoop" that uses powerful magnets to hold the three layers of your basted quilt sandwich ... perfectly flat!

First, per Amelie Scott recomendations, I do a template of the design on a piece of stabilizer (I use woven, non-fusible stabilizer). I then trim it to fit inside the hoop opening. I pin the stitched stabilizer right where I want it on the quilt, slide the flat bottom of the hoop under your quilt, and feel around to get it to to line up with the template. I then carefully place the top magnetic part of the hoop around the template, remove the stabilizer, and take it to my machine to stitch out.

I then detach the hoop from my machine and head to my dining room table to lay things nice and flat. I again pin the stitched stabilizer on the quilt top—lining it up appropriately with the previously stitched part of the quilt—slide the bottom portion of the hoop under the quilt to line up with the stabilizer, and then attach the top magnetic half of the hoop. Back to the machine to stitch out.

I've seen video of Eileen Roche of DIME actually re-position the hoop while sitting at her embroidery machine, but I'm not that talented.

You ask if we use stabilizer. Other than the placement templates, I don't. The basted quilt sandwich itself is stable enough.

You also ask how does the machine move with all that bulk on the pantograph arm. I'm not exactly sure how to answer this, as I'm using an embroidery hoop, not a pantograph. But I will tell you that I kind of bunch up the quilt on support tables so that the embroidery hoop doesn't have significant drag.

The largest quilt size suggested by Amelie Scott is a twin size quilt. But now that I've done a couple, I wouldn't hesitate to try a full or a queen. Supporting the weight of the quilt would become even more important, but I think it could be manageable.

I love using my embroidery machine to quilt!
              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2012

Thank you, Laura. I just bought a couple of collections!
                Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• LauraP
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2015

You're welcome. Don't forget to share pictures when you are done.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X