Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre Wash Kona Cotton yardage??

I am going to make the Wallflower Daisy Quilt from Missouri Star, using Stonehenge Gradations Amethyst 10" Layer Cake and an equivalent layer cake in a solid. I have bought the Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton yardage in Orchid to cut the additional layer cake. I know I would not pre-wash the pre-cut layer cake but would I need to wash the Kona yardage? The Kona solid is from Missoure Star as well.
    Has anyone had experience with the Kona shrinking excessively? Or would they shrink about the same?
    Opinions on the pros and cons would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much.
    Murphy
    here is the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrfXiF14pnU

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre Wash Kona Cotton yardage??

I would suggest NOT washing the Kona especially since you will be sewing it with an unwashed fabric. I have not had issues with Kona.

The one thing that I always do when I wash any quilt is to add 2 to 3 color catchers just in case any fabric would bleed.

3. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make Superman aprons (one is in my album) from Kona yardage, but since I have always pre-washed it, I'm not sure about how much it shrank. I never felt like it was dramatic, but I wasn't paying close attention.

But since you won't be pre-washing your layer cake, you probably ought not pre-wash your yardage. I think the risk of differing shrinkage is lessened this way.

Maybe give your layer cake fabrics an intense steaming and do the same with a sample of the Kona. Measure what happens. If the shrinkage is dramatically different, then pre-wash the Kona.

Let us know what happens!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a LOT of Kona, and never prewash. It does just fine.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Kona a lot, and you didn't say what colour you are using. If it's a beige-white and light colours, you would be ok. My first quilt had Royal Kona as background colour. I washed the yardage and thank God I did. I had to wash it 3 times with colour catchers before it came out clear. That would have been devastating. I also washed my background fabric, Kona dark gray. Saved again.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne makes a really good point about color bleeding. Orchid may be on the pale side, but it also might bleed.

You probably don't know this about me, but I'm a dedicated pre-washer; however, I never pre-wash pre-cuts. The reason I don't is because you get so many threads pulling off or tangling, and you no longer have 10"squares because you lose those threads.

But you may have the one situation where you need to pre-wash your pre-cut: Kona cotton that may bleed combined with a high-quality layer cake. In this case, I would consider the following:
    1. Wash, tumble dry, and iron the Kona.
    2. Soak each individual 10" square. (Yes, that means you'd have to do this 42 times.)
    3. Hand squeeze the excess liquid from each 10" square.
    4. Iron each 10" square until it's completely dry.

You will have shrunk all your fabric as much as it's going to shrink. It's not a fun task to contemplate, but if you're willing to do this, you'll know that you won't have any unpleasant surprises when the finished quilt is first laundered.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the responses. Did not even consider bleeding issues.....The orchid is very very pale lavender and the layer cake is various shades of purple so if a little bleeding occurs, it should all be good. Based on your thoughts, I think I will take one of the darkest purples in the layer cake and check for bleeding to be sure. While I am at it, will cut a 10 in square of the kona orchid and check for bleeding and shrinkage. I had to order another layer cake anyway because the quilt I need is a bit bigger than the Wallflower quilt. This is for my granddaughter and she needs a new valance in her room anyway, so the extra fabric will not be "wasted". If there is such a thing...lol
    Will let you know how the "bleeding shrinkage" test comes out.
    Murphy

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't pre-wash anything except flannel, & sometimes not even that, depending on what I'm making. I personally would never wash pre-cut squares. Post pics of your finished project.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

What ever happened to just taking a white towel, damped it with soapy water, and rub across the surface of the fabric? it's always been my way of testing for bleeding, saves so much work.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they don't have light-colored towels? I don't. Navy in the bath and deep red in the kitchen.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.