Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memory lane

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default memory lane

I took a trip down memory lane yesterday. I was at my sister's house so I used her 1974 Bernina sewing machine. The good was how easy it is to take apart and clean, the bad was I kept forgetting to put the foot down and there was no needle position button. But the very worst thing was I had to admit how old my eyes are getting since there wasn't a needle threader. Of course only my eyes are getting old, the rest of me is still a spring chicken. Yeah right!!!
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: memory lane

One thing I learned in a class a few weeks ago regarding threading needles, like your fingertip and pass it along the back of the needle. It removes any static electricity, and makes the threading easier. I use this method all the time now.

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Mom23, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen - I've been doing the lick your finger trick for a year or so. Works everytime. I really love it for threading the serger.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do that, too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a class where the teacher taught us so many lick-your-finger tricks that I said to my table mate, "It's amazing what you can do with spittle."

Owning a Janome 15000 means the needle threader rarely works, so I'm back to licking my finger regularly!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do the finger licking thing too. But, it's not a good idea if you've got a piece of peppermint in your mouth, LOL!

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of this, I was taught to put a small piece of white paper behind the needle to make the "eye" more visible. Works for me. Gonna try the finger lick idea too thanks,

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Five or six years ago, I made "Frozen" costumes for my granddaughters for Halloween. When I finally was near the end, it was time to hem the dresses. I would stick a couple of pins in my mouth (I know, bad idea!!!) because I was afraid the pin box would get knocked over. After numerous times of taking a pin out of my mouth and inserting it in the dress to mark the hem, my oldest granddaughter said, "Grammy, why do you have to lick the pins before you use them?" I no longer put pins in my mouth --- at least when the youngsters are around!!!

Nancy

11. Thanks quilt_gems_25, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me last year i bought the same house which my friend use to own 10 years ago. After high school we never met just kept in touch with messages which also fade away in 1 to 2 years, i always wanted to buy apartment at 10 York Street but didn't knew i was going to buy my friend house decade later.

13. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sewed for at least 15 years on a machine with no needle threader. Now I have a machine that has one and I cannot figure out how it's supposed to work!