Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never say never

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never say never

We're we just talking about this last week?????

I've been doing the bowl cozies for three years now. They sell very well for me and I've prided myself that I've done them well and know what I'm doing. People are happy, I'm happy. Two days ago I heard that a potato zapper of mine caught fire. SAY WHAT? How did that happen??? I've been so careful????

So I've been racking my brains over how this DID happen. I had pulled out some fabric I had from about 4 years and made a set with it 4 bowls/2 zappers. Didn't realize it had some poly in it. I rarely ever purchased a poly blend. I'd have said this just couldn't happen to me. Ah but Pride go-ith before the Fall. And so it goes :-(

I had one of those zappers left and I tested it. I would think the smell in my kitchen at the moment would be punishment enough but it's not. I can't keep from mentally using myself as a whipping post. I don't know the woman so I can't replace it as I heard it second hand. (Awful isn't it as one mistake like this can ruin your craft fair reputation). And basically why would she trust a replacement from me anyway.

I'm so upset I feel devastated. (P.S. and oh yeah what else were we talking about this week too? It's a red and white POLKA DOT fabric!!!)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Never say never

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all can make a mistake. See if you can backtrack the person that this happened to and reach out to her. Offer an explaination and see if she would like another one to replace the one that was distroyed. Try not to let this weigh too heavy on your mind. And I hope that going forward all will be well.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

4. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We all mistakes. Your true character will show through in how you recover from this mistake. You can do it. Believe in yourself, apologize, try to make recovery to the wronged party, and move forward.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sending big hugs. That's one reason I don't put the bowl cozies in the microwave. Even those I've gifted, I tell the people to slide your hot dish into the cozy from the microwave.

The other reason... they get messy if things are poppin' in those bowls.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Babs quilts, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry this happened to you. We can all learn from this. Unless you are 100% sure of the content of fabric to make these, don't use it. Glad you found the culprit, so that you didn't sell any more.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

10. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No fortunately I only made 6 items with it (4 bowls/2 zappers). But even one is TOO much. Thank god I only had a little of it and it was the only fabric that had been around for a while. I usually decide to do the microwave stuff and purchase fabrics I like and get them done right away. I don't even buy poly blends for anything anymore and probably haven't in the last two years at least.

I'm happy to say there is a good chance I'll be getting the girls contact info. Apparently she's a friend of a friend of the girl who contacted me and they said they get me the information. That's a huge relief, she's also probably local. I think I'll have her pick out another zapper and give her two matching microwave bowls to go with it. (Or something else she'd like) I just want her to walk away happy.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

12. Thanks MSN, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great that you can connect with the person who had the issue. Making it right for her will also get you good reviews on how you handle a mishap. This can only be good for your future sales!
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

14. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    No fortunately I only made 6 items with it (4 bowls/2 zappers). But even one is TOO much. Thank god I only had a little of it and it was the only fabric that had been around for a while. I usually decide to do the microwave stuff and purchase fabrics I like and get them done right away. I don't even buy poly blends for anything anymore and probably haven't in the last two years at least.

I'm happy to say there is a good chance I'll be getting the girls contact info. Apparently she's a friend of a friend of the girl who contacted me and they said they get me the information. That's a huge relief, she's also probably local. I think I'll have her pick out another zapper and give her two matching microwave bowls to go with it. (Or something else she'd like) I just want her to walk away happy.
    I hope you are able to reach out to her and I have no doubt you will make this 'right'. Hopefully she will understand and appreciate that you have gone to such trouble to make it so. Let us know. Good luck.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

16. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are very sweet to be so concerned. I think we all hate it when we do something wrong. I'm glad you'll have the opportunity to make things right with your customer!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

18. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You are so thoughtful and considerate to make an attempt to fix the situation with the cozie. Yes, it may have been that rogue fabric but it could also be power level or timing issues on the users end.

I don't put them in the micro either. due to possible spills. Yes, they are popular items and many use them with success. For me, it would be like putting pot holders in the oven with the hot baking pans.

20. Thanks Babs quilts, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post