• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Never say never

We're we just talking about this last week?????

I've been doing the bowl cozies for three years now. They sell very well for me and I've prided myself that I've done them well and know what I'm doing. People are happy, I'm happy. Two days ago I heard that a potato zapper of mine caught fire. SAY WHAT? How did that happen??? I've been so careful????

So I've been racking my brains over how this DID happen. I had pulled out some fabric I had from about 4 years and made a set with it 4 bowls/2 zappers. Didn't realize it had some poly in it. I rarely ever purchased a poly blend. I'd have said this just couldn't happen to me. Ah but Pride go-ith before the Fall. And so it goes :-(

I had one of those zappers left and I tested it. I would think the smell in my kitchen at the moment would be punishment enough but it's not. I can't keep from mentally using myself as a whipping post. I don't know the woman so I can't replace it as I heard it second hand. (Awful isn't it as one mistake like this can ruin your craft fair reputation). And basically why would she trust a replacement from me anyway.

I'm so upset I feel devastated. (P.S. and oh yeah what else were we talking about this week too? It's a red and white POLKA DOT fabric!!!)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.
  • Granny Fran
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2014

Re: Never say never

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all can make a mistake. See if you can backtrack the person that this happened to and reach out to her. Offer an explaination and see if she would like another one to replace the one that was distroyed. Try not to let this weigh too heavy on your mind. And I hope that going forward all will be well.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

• DeniseSm
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2013

We all mistakes. Your true character will show through in how you recover from this mistake. You can do it. Believe in yourself, apologize, try to make recovery to the wronged party, and move forward.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• KPH
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2015

Sending big hugs. That's one reason I don't put the bowl cozies in the microwave. Even those I've gifted, I tell the people to slide your hot dish into the cozy from the microwave.

The other reason... they get messy if things are poppin' in those bowls.
        Katrina
        From NC, retired in FL
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• auntiemern
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

So sorry this happened to you. We can all learn from this. Unless you are 100% sure of the content of fabric to make these, don't use it. Glad you found the culprit, so that you didn't sell any more.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

No fortunately I only made 6 items with it (4 bowls/2 zappers). But even one is TOO much. Thank god I only had a little of it and it was the only fabric that had been around for a while. I usually decide to do the microwave stuff and purchase fabrics I like and get them done right away. I don't even buy poly blends for anything anymore and probably haven't in the last two years at least.

I'm happy to say there is a good chance I'll be getting the girls contact info. Apparently she's a friend of a friend of the girl who contacted me and they said they get me the information. That's a huge relief, she's also probably local. I think I'll have her pick out another zapper and give her two matching microwave bowls to go with it. (Or something else she'd like) I just want her to walk away happy.
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Granny Fran
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2014

Great that you can connect with the person who had the issue. Making it right for her will also get you good reviews on how you handle a mishap. This can only be good for your future sales!
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

• Monique
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                No fortunately I only made 6 items with it (4 bowls/2 zappers). But even one is TOO much. Thank god I only had a little of it and it was the only fabric that had been around for a while. I usually decide to do the microwave stuff and purchase fabrics I like and get them done right away. I don't even buy poly blends for anything anymore and probably haven't in the last two years at least.

I'm happy to say there is a good chance I'll be getting the girls contact info. Apparently she's a friend of a friend of the girl who contacted me and they said they get me the information. That's a huge relief, she's also probably local. I think I'll have her pick out another zapper and give her two matching microwave bowls to go with it. (Or something else she'd like) I just want her to walk away happy.
                I hope you are able to reach out to her and I have no doubt you will make this 'right'. Hopefully she will understand and appreciate that you have gone to such trouble to make it so. Let us know. Good luck.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

You are very sweet to be so concerned. I think we all hate it when we do something wrong. I'm glad you'll have the opportunity to make things right with your customer!
                  Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Rhonda K
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2017

You are so thoughtful and considerate to make an attempt to fix the situation with the cozie. Yes, it may have been that rogue fabric but it could also be power level or timing issues on the users end.

I don't put them in the micro either. due to possible spills. Yes, they are popular items and many use them with success. For me, it would be like putting pot holders in the oven with the hot baking pans.
                    Just one more stitch...

Comment

• jjkaiser
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2013

I can tell you are sincerely distraught over this and the customer will realize that too. This is a great lesson for all if us. It was an honest mistake by you. A good warning for people who buy fabric from thrift or estate sales what not to make if you aren't sure of the fabric content. Cheer up. It will all be okay.
                      Jocelyn
                      South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2013

Personally I very much trust a person more who owns their errors. It is obvious what a wonderful person you are.
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2013

Just wondering if the whole set (4 cozies and 2 zappers) were all made with this material. If so you may want to get them all back from her since there is a risk using any of them.

I'm sure you were surprised ... and I'm also sure you will make this right! Happy you found a way to get up with her.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

Judy she only purchased a potato zapper. Unfortunately, there is someone out there who had purchased the matching bowls about three or two years ago who never said anything. Either that or they never nuked them in the microwave. I had the last one here still not purchased. That's the one I did the test on. I just wanted to give her two extra bowls for the inconvenience she went through.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2015

Wow that could happen to any one of us.

I usually tell people how to use, but this year I have included instructions on a card. Zap in 2 minute intervals for a maximum of 8 minutes. Do not use with convection/ microwave feature. Convection would be like a regular oven an would start a fire.
                              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X