Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Heading south

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heading south

We will be gone for about 4 months and in a rented home. What are your most important quilting items to take along. We are driving a mini van so do have some room. Definitely my sewing machine and what size cutting mat and do you
    Take a rotating one.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heading south

Lucky you!
    Don't have too much advice but maybe a small cutting mat 18"x 24" and sure, I'd take my rotating mat too. Take some fabrics you like along with maybe some plans to purchase something from MSQC BEFORE you leave for your South destination. You might want to find out where the nearest Jo-Ann fabrics store is located too. I wouldn't take too much with me, depending on how much you sew, etc. Maybe a couple of small projects and a new quilt you want to work on?

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW lucky you. I would make sure that I have all the essentials that I would need. An 18x24 mat is a good size, a travel iron if you have one. What projects do you want/have to make. Make yourself 'kits' to take with you with everything in one bag. All in all, have a wonderful time.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

5. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun. I would bring my folding matt-pressing board from Omni, my travel iron, rotary cutter and essential retreat kit (seam extension cord, ripper, scissors, awl, marking pencil, small & med rulers, square up ruler for your basic blocks.I would keep these in a scrapbook case from Michael's. A desk lamp? A good selection of basic thread colours. As Monique suggested I would prepackaged quilt fabrics projects in large ziploc bags.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

7. Thanks Laurie B, Thayer Abaigael, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we could get on the road headed south but we have to be in Kansas the 27th for house closing (we are the sellers) and during the massive thunderstorm the other night we found out that the slide out leaks didn't get fixed so the trailer is going back. They better get them fixed this time!!!!!

People are surprised at how much sewing I can get in my trailer. I have a folding cutting mat, a two foot by six inch ruler, an ironing mat and cordless steam iron. I also have three boxes of embroidery thread for my machine. All of my stabilizers, background materials, tea towels, etc are under the couch. I buy anything special for a project as needed and try to only get as much as I need so I don't have to store it. I keep all patterns on the computer and all notions in zip pouches I have made. I have one squaring ruler that I also use for fussy cutting.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

9. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to pick me up. If you don't I'll just be whiney, LOL! I agree with the others on what to take. Be safe on your travels.

Gina