Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Oops

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oops

I have had so many things on my mind lately I finished a quilt, sent it to Longarmer, got it back and looked at it and totally forgot to put a boarder on it-not only does it call for 1 but 2. So can a longar,er quilt just the boarders and not the rest of the quilt. I cannot believe I did that-I have no idea how they would do the batting and backing at all-guess I will bind it and call it quits it will just be a bit smaller that originally planned.
    Thank you.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oops

I would go with making it a smaller quilt. No one else needs to know it was supposed to have borders.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'd leave it unless you wanted a specific size. IDK but could the borders be added like Quilt as you Go?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the answer depends on how much trouble you are willing to go through. I'd talk to the long armer before even thinking about it. How much backing fabric is available? Do you have enough to take care of the border and still quilt? Are you going to have to add fabric to the back? You could quilt sandwich the extra border and add to the front with a small strip? The more I think about it, the more questions I come up with, and the more I think it would be a pain to do.

For me, I would just bind it. No one else will know the difference if you don't tell them.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Do-able, but worth the frustration? It would be lots of work to get it close to what you originally had in mind. You were gonna love this quilt when you started. Most likely you're gonna HATE it when you get those borders added. I know I would.

Now... if it has to be a certain size, or the quilts just calls for some border treatment... Maybe rethink the plan and add something like a ruffle. Hard to tell if it's viable without seeing the quilt. I'd still probably skip it and move on.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a Christmas quilt last year that turned out more narrow than I wanted. This year I plan to add a border to one side [it is a fairly modern looking quilt] by the quilt as you go method. I hope it works out.