Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ripples in piecing - whatís wrong with this picture?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I made my first HST quilt and I have ripples throughout the finished project on the sewing lines. Itís not the triangles, but in the straight stitches. They wonít iron out. During the piecing process I tried changing the feed dogs and the thread tension, but it didnít seem to matter. I used the same fabric throughout (kona colors). This is my first quilt with a new machine and Iím wondering if there is something I am missing. Thank you for any advice!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	444EC578-2241-4853-B7F2-6FEEB697A3FB.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	161223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5D40F70-E15C-4DF5-A74E-FD73FEC204CE.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	161224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E725B71B-B073-490E-B8D8-A11CB41C0D9F.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	161225  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ripples in piecing - whatís wrong with this picture?????

Others can correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's from stretching the fabric on the bias. Trying to iron it out would make it worse. When you wash it, it'll most likely shrink up and you won't notice. When dealing with bias always press never iron. We all have learned this lesson. Honestly, looks great and the finished product you won't be able to see it....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Does your sewing machine have an adjustable pressure setting? The pressure setting is not the same as the tension setting. Not every machine has this feature. Check your manual. If so, you need to set your pressure setting slightly lower. If your sewing machine does not have this feature you can compensate in other ways. My least favorite way is to heavily starch your fabric. Then the sewing machine will have to work harder to get those ripples in there. I prefer to finger press my seams open before I iron them open. By finger pressing I am smoothing the tiny ripples out before the iron sets them in place. It takes a little extra time, but you get a crisper result. Another tip is to use your finger to hold the two pieces of fabric together like a pin as it feeds through the machine. The feed dogs are trying to shorten the piece of fabric on the bottom. Holding the two pieces of the fabric together with your finger will help compensate for the feed dog action.
    Last edited by DeniseSm; November 6th, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know you would like to know why this happened so you can prevent it in the future, and I think Denise gave you great advice on that. Personally I would not stress over the blocks you have already done. Once it is quilted no one will even notice. If I did not believe in "good enough" I would not finish anything.

5. Thanks Old Newbie, Babs quilts, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's from stretching the fabric on the bias. Trying to iron it out would make it worse. When you wash it, it'll most likely shrink up and you won't notice. When dealing with bias always press never iron. We all have learned this lesson. Honestly, looks great and the finished product you won't be able to see it....
    I agree!! it's definitely because of stretching the fabric. You don't have to starch heavily, I lightly starch my fabrics before cutting, and don't try to "make it fit", accurate cutting will make your life so much easier.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt