Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Skipped Stitches...

So I'm fmq the last two nights and my machine keeps skipping stitches. I did research last night and today and I think I fixed the issue. While I was sewing and the stitches skipped I would stop and rip it out and try again.

HOWEVER...now that I'm looking at it there are some in the quilt that I did not catch and now 1/2 of the quilt is done and I'm finding these stitches...some small but some large.

Is there a way for me to fix or do I need to rip everything out? Please help. Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Skipped Stitches...

Personally I use the toe catcher ruler for fixing skipped stitches. If the opening left by the skipped stitches is big enough for my smallest toe or finger to get caught in, then I know I need to fix it. If the opening is smaller than that I let it go. After the quilt is washed and dried the skipped stitches are hardly noticeable.

If you are good at travel FMQ (where you quilt back over the same line) that is the quickest way to fix skipped stitches. Just sew over the line again without ripping out. If your travel FMQ is only so so, than take a needle and thread and hand quilt over the area.

The only time I rip is if the tension is bad. Sewing back over bad tension will not fix the mess. Sewing over skipped stitches will.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One time I had skipped stitches and I was told to use a larger needle and that solved the problem.

Denise, I have never heard of the toe catcher rule. I imagine it's right up there with the galloping horse! Good advice about quilting over it. I learn so much from this forum! Thanks!
    Vonnie

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Personally I use the toe catcher ruler for fixing skipped stitches. If the opening left by the skipped stitches is big enough for my smallest toe or finger to get caught in, then I know I need to fix it. If the opening is smaller than that I let it go. After the quilt is washed and dried the skipped stitches are hardly noticeable.

If you are good at travel FMQ (where you quilt back over the same line) that is the quickest way to fix skipped stitches. Just sew over the line again without ripping out. If your travel FMQ is only so so, than take a needle and thread and hand quilt over the area.

The only time I rip is if the tension is bad. Sewing back over bad tension will not fix the mess. Sewing over skipped stitches will.
    Thank you! That's great advice. I've been just sick over this mess...it's a gift for my sister for Christmas and I really want it to be nice. This gives me hope. Thank you! Thank you!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

yep, larger needle hole and cleaned machine. also move your hands slower than the pedal speed. more control.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was having some skipped stitches on my featherweight yesterday, took out the almost new needle and turned it ever so slightly, problem solved.
    I am in the "add more quilting" group, too.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I would agree with the needle advice but when it happened to me I found I wasn't using a Janome bobbin with my Janome machine. The 'wrong' bobbin had a slightly raised circle on the surface and I think that wasn't allowing the needle to go down enough to pick up the stitches. I could be wrong but as soon as I changed to the Janome bobbin everything was fine. Good luck..

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Changing to a larger needle has helped me with skipped stitches.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a few things and in the end...well, last night I started removing all the quilting I've done. I was just not happy with it at all.