• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threadbndr
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2017

WiP Nov 1 -7, 2019

Wow, better late than never?

I'm still swamped at work, we did get a recent hire (former intern) to give us a hand, but that makes us down just one and a half people. She still has to do her actual job, too. Luckily she is able to help with journal entries and reconciliations, but not much with the day to day items.

And when work explodes, it's my stitching that suffers, sad to say. I did get to work the local quilt guild booth at the library Fiber Fair last Sunday. We had demos of EPP, applique, traditional hand piecing (me), hand quilting and sewing on a binding. It was a lot of fun, actually, and I got about a third of a 24 inch Carpenter's Wheel block in Christmas fabrics done.

I really haven't mentioned my orphan block quilt yet, but whenever I need to do a test block, I make it in holiday fabrics in the hope that I can eventually make a 'gypsy' or 'sampler' type top.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: WiP Nov 1 -7, 2019

Got the next three blocks done on Kaleidoscope Dreams. These are blocks E, M, and F.
    100_5294.JPG100_5289.JPG

Four more paper pieced blocks to go, then a log cabin border and lots of flying geese.

Poor trick or treaters had horrible weather. Turn out was unusually low. I have lots of candy left over. I really should not eat the candy, but so far I am not resisting temptation.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• am2901
      Quilting Royalty
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by threadbndr View Post
      I really haven't mentioned my orphan block quilt yet, but whenever I need to do a test block, I make it in holiday fabrics in the hope that I can eventually make a 'gypsy' or 'sampler' type top.
      Threadbndr, I like your idea of an "orphan block quilt" made with test blocks in holiday fabrics. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

• Granny Judy
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2011

tanners orchard 2019 oct 12.jpg

It got really windy and cold here, then it snowed.. Our annual trip to tanners orchard was short and sweet. Here I am with about 3 layers on and looking for more cover ups.

I, too, make a block to audition and then save it for a later Orphan quilt. My newest attempt is the international Sister block.

International Sister Block.jpg
        My thinking is that it could be a great scrap buster.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

• TMP
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2014

Hi everyone,

I haven't been sewing for the last couple of months. It all started when my I dropped the bobbin case out of my long arm. I couldn't get the washer back into the case. I ordered some new washer and they sent the wrong washers, after getting that mess with the company settled I just ordered a new case with a few extra washers. When they set up my machine they showed me how to use a towa gauge. I have not used the gadget since that day. Now after watching videos I am still lost with the thing. I do know that the tension should be 180-200. I have so many quilts tops that need quilting. Right now I am just frustrated with myself because my machine sews perfect stitches when the tension is correct. I have thought about taking the tower gauge to a local fabric shop and seeing if they could help me. The problem with that is they don't sell the brand of machine I have and I don't want them to think I'm using them. I'm not sure where to go next.
          Teresa
          Pelham, Alabama
          War Eagle!!!

Comment

• DeniseSm
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

What kind of problem are you having with the Towa tension gauge? Have you tried this video?

Using a Towa gauge has really improved the enjoyment of me using a sit down longarm. I think most newbies to free motion quilting experience some tension iss...
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2015

I haven't been in mysewing room much since the stomach flu I got has put me out all this week. I did finish adding the last border on the hanging gardens quilt. I will post later.

I really like the idea of a xmas orphan block quilt. That could work for me as xmas fabric always seems to be given to me, or they multiple in my bin.

Tomorrow is VictorIa quilt. I've been tasked to sew the binding on 3-4 quilts, then I will bring home to hand sew the binding. Uhm, maybe I could machine sew some on. I don't usually do this, but it would get them done much faster. We have about 8-9 quilts to turn in this month.
              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                Hi everyone,

I haven't been sewing for the last couple of months. It all started when my I dropped the bobbin case out of my long arm. I couldn't get the washer back into the case. I ordered some new washer and they sent the wrong washers, after getting that mess with the company settled I just ordered a new case with a few extra washers. When they set up my machine they showed me how to use a towa gauge. I have not used the gadget since that day. Now after watching videos I am still lost with the thing. I do know that the tension should be 180-200. I have so many quilts tops that need quilting. Right now I am just frustrated with myself because my machine sews perfect stitches when the tension is correct. I have thought about taking the tower gauge to a local fabric shop and seeing if they could help me. The problem with that is they don't sell the brand of machine I have and I don't want them to think I'm using them. I'm not sure where to go next.
                Come to guild at 6:30 Thursday at the No Shelby Library and I will be glad to show you how to use the gauge. If you can't come Thursday perhaps we can meet up soon and I will show you.

I am still working on walking foot quilting a king quilt. It is getting closer to finished.
                I cut out part of the pieces for some little freestanding Christmas trees yesterday, I need to finish that today but will quilt for a while first.
                Have a beautiful Sunday everyone.
                Last edited by Claire Hallman; November 3, 2019, 07:28 AM.
                Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Anitamae56
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                  Got the next three blocks done on Kaleidoscope Dreams. These are blocks E, M, and F.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]161194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161195[/ATTACH]

Four more paper pieced blocks to go, then a log cabin border and lots of flying geese.

Poor trick or treaters had horrible weather. Turn out was unusually low. I have lots of candy left over. I really should not eat the candy, but so far I am not resisting temptation.
                  That is absolutely beautiful, you are very talented !

Comment

• TMP
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2014

I probably started my problems in the wrong thread forgive me. I went by a local fabric shop yesterday and ask the owner if she knew how to use the Towa gauge . She said she had never used one but, she showed me a way to hold the bobbin in the case and let it drop and how to determine if the tension was correct. I haven't had time to try out this method and I don't know if it will work for me.

Claire, thank you so much for your offer to help me. Also, thank you Denise for the video.

Thanks, again everyone!
                    Teresa
                    Teresa
                    Pelham, Alabama
                    War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

You are welcome, Teresa, the offer stands since we are only about 6 miles apart it would be easy to meet and you are welcome to come to guild. You could meet us at Joe's Italian at 6 and ride together if you wish.

I got the king quilt finished except for about half of the had sewing on the binding, it is a looong way around.
                      I also got all the little Christmas trees cut and the first round of sewing done. Now the little pieces need to be turned right side out. I did about half of them yesterday during a Christmas movie, more to do today.
                      Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Granny Judy
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2011

TMP, I hope you are able to get your machine up and running again. It's so frustrating when your equipment mal-functions.

I wanted to let everyone know where I found the International Sister block. I visit SewPreeti's blog often Cause I think she does awesome quilts She found it on the internet and shared it with us all.

20191102_184641.jpg

Then in between working on the "barn", I was sewing some 1/2 hexi's together. Yes I get bored working on just one project, so I do the leader and ender technique. Sew this is what I want to do with those hexi's..

20191030_153804.jpg
                        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                        :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                        X