Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Question Nice gesture or a little creepy?

I took Thursday & Friday as vacation days so I could start visiting memory care facilities for Mom. My first appointment Friday was a dud and ended quickly. Since I had time before my next appointment, I decided to stop by a place mentioned by one of my counterparts. They gave me a tour. The facility is very nice, very new, and they have several open beds.

Later that afternoon I was in my basement, and the doorbell rang. By the time I got upstairs, they were gone, but they left a gift bag on my front step. It was from the facility I stopped by. There was a card thanking me for my visit and a book about caregiving for Alzheimer's.

Does this seem a little creepy / stalker-ish to anyone else? The cynical part of my brain wonders if they were checking out the house to see if we can afford them. The book is a nice touch, but not unique -- the facility I visited on Thursday gave me a book, too, but they handed it to me when the visit was over.

What would you think if this happened to you?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nice gesture or a little creepy?

That is kind of strange to me that they would follow you home, so to say.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

4. Thanks JulieC thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it could be weird if you didn't provide them your home address. It could also be that the person who gave you the tour forgot to give you the book when you were there. They may have sent their delivery person. I would think any more of it, unless you got a weird feeling when you visited.

Does your colleague know anyone living in the facility, or who works there. Do your research and due diligence on the owners or management of the facility. Is it a franchise?

Best of luck. I know it's not easy decision, especially since your mom may not be able to provide you with accurate info about her care once she is in a facility.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It does feel kind of creepy, but it could be as simple as they forgot the package when you were there.

Of course, you're asking this after I've had a couple of phishing emails and a text to respond to that I had no idea what the initials stood for, to enroll in their auto texts.

The text was legit- and it took calling to remember what the initials stood for! That was a DUH moment. Of course, it was weeks ago when I signed up for fraud alerts with my bank card. So when GTMC came up on the text, I didn't remember what it was for. lol, Go To My Card- the button you click on to check on the bank card. Ha, Ha on me!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Call me trusting, but perhaps they are putting out the red carpet so they can fill those empty beds.

9. Thanks JulieC, Granny Fran, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is they forgot to give it to you, so sent someone out to deliver it.

11. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Does your colleague know anyone living in the facility, or who works there. Do your research and due diligence on the owners or management of the facility. Is it a franchise?
    It is one of several owned by the same company. The father of my colleague's boss was in the facility and she was very happy with his care.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They want your business. That being said people who work at these facilities
    are generally the most caring people you could meet. Not creepy to me.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Not creepy. Creepy is sitting in their car waiting for you to come out. They rang the doorbell and it sounds like they do more than stare at a computer screen to get business. Sounds like a nice gesture to me. I come from the generation where nice is not suspect but expected. Trust your instincts, and what vibe the place gave you when there. If it does not feel right than you already know what to do.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would interpret it as a drop off of something they forgot to give you when you were there.

Now it would be creepy to me if there was a representative standing at the door wanting to hand it to you and want to persuade you to enroll in their facility.