Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backing question

So I’m getting ready to send my first quilt in to be long armed. So excited!
    I understand that the back needs to be four inches wider than the top, all the way around. I bought 6” more than I need of 108” backing so I wouldn’t have to piece the back. After I pulled a thread (I’m old school—pulling a thread is the only way to get fabric truly straight) I have 4” more than I need. I want to make sure the backing is absolutely straight so I had planned on pulling a thread at the other end of the fabric, but now I’m worried that will cause the fabric to be too short. Then it dawned on me—if backing can be pieced, can I go head, straighten the bottom of the fabric, and if it is say 1.5” too short can I just sew a strip onto the bottom to make it the length I need to create the 4” border of backing that is required? Hope this makes sense.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing question

It needs to be 4 inches all around. So if your quilt is 60 inches your back should be 68
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ma’am I know that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. Here is an example;

My quilt is 60” inches. My backing needs to be 68”. My backing is 66” can I sew a 2” strip to the bottom of the backing to achieve the 68” length needed?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Islandgirl51 View Post
    Yes ma’am I know that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. Here is an example;

My quilt is 60” inches. My backing needs to be 68”. My backing is 66” can I sew a 2” strip to the bottom of the backing to achieve the 68” length needed?
    Yes, and hopefully when the longarmer layers the quilt they will have all of the sewn on piece as the "extra" so you don't end up with a seam on the back.

I just wanted to make sure that you were allowing 4" all around before you got all of the fabric squared up and it ended up being shorter than you thought. Nothing like having you wide backing that you bought specifically so you didn't have to piece ending up with a seam on the quilt
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. It's better if you sew strips to the top and bottom rather than the sides. The extra inches are so that there's enough fabric to attach to the quilting frame.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check with your LAer first. Some require more than 4" all the way around.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and helping me. I’ve been truly sewing since I was 7 (Mom put a needle and thread in my hand before I was 5) and I’m now retired. I decided it was time I learned to quilt! Hopefully one day I’ll be able to help another quilting newbie.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

QUICK UPDATE: I straightened the bottom edge of the backing. It is 9 inches LONGER than my top! WHEW!!!! But WOW, I bought 6 more inches than what I thought I needed, so that means it took 5 inches to straighten this piece of fabric!

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have found every time I buy 108" backing it tends to be wonky. Much more so than normal width fabric. As I usually make sure I have plenty of extra length/width it is normally not an issue. I think the way it has to be folded up to put in on the bolt causes it to be off.
    Debbie

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

How much extra backing is required is always in question, and the answers are all over the place. I'm thinking most are being overly cautious with those numbers. I don't send mine out, but a friend and one of the local quilters here only requires 2" per side extra- which is plenty. Anymore and she trims it to 2". She ain't no newbie either, having two Gammills running pretty much full time for the better part of 18 years.

So... when someone says "four inches extra" that's what it means- two inches on either side, and since there's two sides...
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-