Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different apple pie recipe #1: Bacon apple pie

I am a competitive pie baker. Each year, my county fair has a pie contest. In order to take top honors, your pie needs to not only be tasty, but include something to elevate the pie to another level. I figured that pork and apples go well together, and I firmly believe that bacon makes EVERYTHING better, so I tried an apple pie where bacon was the top crust. It only took third place, but I liked it. Thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone is looking for something a little different.

Using your favorite pie crust recipe (or the pre-made variety), line a pie plate with pie dough and flute the edge. Prepare your favorite apple pie filling and spoon it into the crust. There is no need to dot the fruit with butter, as the bacon will add fat. Using the leanest, thick-sliced bacon you can find, weave a lattice of bacon across the top of the pie. Tuck the ends of the bacon strips down the inside of the crust, next to the apples. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake until bacon and apples are cooked. I prefer to serve this warm.

Note: Use thick-sliced bacon. If you use thinner slices, the bacon will be cooked and start to burn before the apples are done. Also, I used an apple peeler/corer/sliced so that my apple slices were of uniform thickness and cooked evenly. The bacon fat makes the bottom crust really crisp.

Ready to go in the oven
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	161117

After baking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_29f3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	161118

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Different apple pie recipe #1: Bacon apple pie

Now that is interesting!
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

3. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds delicious, I would have given it a 1!

5. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love bacon and your house must have smelled amazing! What could top this idea? I am wondering what came in first?

7. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you share your recioe for the crust if it is home made? The last one I made didn't roll out too well and I had to piece it together after I put it in the pie plate. It tasted fine but looked like a 5 year old made it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I was mistaken. The bacon apple pie took second place. The winner was a Marlborough pie, which is also a variation of apple pie. It was very good. Marlborough pie is more common in New England, but no one here in the midwest has heard of it. Here is a recipe:

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/g...arlborough-pie

Jocelyn, I'm still searching for the perfect pie crust recipe. Lately, I've been trying a vodka crust. My first attempt was fragile and tore easily. The second attempt was better, very light and flaky, but still a little difficult to work with. I start with 2-1/2 cups flour and cut in two sticks (1 cup) of butter using a pastry blender. Once the butter bits are the size of a pea, I add very cold liquid, one tablespoon at a time. I used to use ice water, now I'm alternating a tablespoon of very cold vodka (I store it in the freezer) with a tablespoon of ice water. I might try reducing the flour to 2-1/4 cups next time. Even after all my years of pie making, the crust is still a work in progress.

10. Thanks cv quilter, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my! You have just combined my favorite pie with my favorite food. Brilliant! Congratulations on your prize!

I can't wait to try this, but DH is not as enthused. I might try it in an apple crumble version.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

12. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne, my DH liked it, but it was definitely outside his comfort zone to combine bacon and apple pie. Let me know how the apple crumble version works out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Can you share your recioe for the crust if it is home made? The last one I made didn't roll out too well and I had to piece it together after I put it in the pie plate. It tasted fine but looked like a 5 year old made it.
    I made a tomato galette yesterday using a recipe from Chef John at AllRecipes. It rolled out super easy and it was flaky and delicious. It also helps to have a silicone mat and once the pie crust is the right size, wrap the dough half way around the rolling pin to transfer it to your pie dish. Here's the tomato galette recipe that makes a 13" crust and his other one that makes 2 crusts:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27...d=cardslot%201

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ade-pie-crust/

15. Thanks Monique, MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    I made a tomato galette yesterday using a recipe from Chef John at AllRecipes. It rolled out super easy and it was flaky and delicious. It also helps to have a silicone mat and once the pie crust is the right size, wrap the dough half way around the rolling pin to transfer it to your pie dish. Here's the tomato galette recipe that makes a 13" crust and his other one that makes 2 crusts:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27...d=cardslot%201

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ade-pie-crust/
    That's interesting to add corn meal to the crust; I would not have thought to do that.