• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thayer Abaigael
    Block Queen
    • Sep 2019

Recreating design patterns?

I was looking at a couple of the requests for pattern names, and I started thinking.

I have always enjoyed mathematical analysis, and the challenge of recreating quilt patterns is incredibly enjoyable to me. I'm kind of an oddball, in many ways, so I understand if I'm alone in this mental exercise.

But I'll ask, does anyone else here look at a photo of a quilt and try to figure it out how they would piece it the pattern?
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Recreating design patterns?

No you are not alone for sure. I myself see patterns that can easily be recreated.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2016

You are definitely not alone. Shortly after I first started quilting and watching Jenny's videos I found myself pausing the videos before she started her demonstration, just so I could look at and analyzed the quilt to see if I could figure out how to create the block.

Now I not only look at images of quilts that way, but also so many other things, just last month I had on a pair of pajama pants that I thought, ooh I could recreate the print (very geometrical) of these pj's to make a really cool quilt!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2015

You are in good company. I think for some of us, we enjoy every aspect of the design.
        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

I have made quilts that I saw in pictures and enjoyed the challenge. I am designing one on the fly right now, making blocks and will figure out arrangements when I have many blocks made.
          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• dwil23
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

Actually, I think that is my favorite part of quilting - the design and planning. I have never followed a pattern - usually get inspiration from quilts I see, and then make it my own. I love old fashioned graph paper and colored pencils. Some day I may venture into the work of EQ or a similar program, but for now, the graph paper is my friend!
            Donna

Comment

• jjkaiser
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

I have complete math phobia. I just do not trust myself to figure out anything mathematical and get the right answer. I have even cut up and taped newspapers together to equal measurements of my yardage and then I make cardboard templates the shape and size I need and trace them multiple times onto the newspaper to see if I can get enough pieces out. I admire everyone who can figure it out with just a pencil and paper, for me I just can't even decide if I should add or multiply or divide or what. It's a good thing I did not home school my kids!!!
              Jocelyn
              South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• nativetexan
                Banned
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2018

always!! can't help it. doesn't mean I'm going to make it though. just have to figure out how it was done.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

I do that all the time! For me that is part of the excitement of quilting, to see how patterns go together.

Comment

• Patty J
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

I belong to a quilt group and one of the experienced quilters absolutely Loves to look then figure out how to make it. She uses graph paper and math. It is just amazing to watch her work a pattern out. I couldn't do it with a calculator, paper, and sometimes even with a pattern. I'm hopeless.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2012

I don't think I'm capable of looking at a quilt without thinking about how it was constructed. It's part of the fun of this hobby!
                      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• wildernessquilter
                        Quilting Guru
                        • Sep 2015

Always. I am not sure if I see the beauty of the quilt before I piece the blocks in my head. For me it is not about Math that scares so many people it is just arithmetic. I do have EQ but not currently on my computer, sometime I use a design wall, sometime I draw them out and sometimes just think about it and put it together.

Patterns are like recipes, a starting point.

Comment

• sewmuch2learn
                          Designer Diva
                          • Dec 2012

Because I try to never repeat quilts and hate buying 1-use patterns., I often struggle through figuring them out. The sense of accomplishment is amplified when one of those is finished.

Quilter's Rules:
                          #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
                          #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
                          #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

• AMG
                            The Guild President
                            • Apr 2015

I taped 4 pieces of graph paper together just this week to plot out a pattern fr9m a picture I'd seen on Pinterest that didn't go anywhere, lol. It was a version of attic windows with d8fferent sizes/shapes of panes. Then I did it again because I left the sashing off & didn't notice till I was done, lol. I mostly use graph paper & I usually do 1 square=2" but the sashing was skinny & finished at 1" and I was making myself nuts trying to do the thing at 2" per graph square, lol

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2012

I love doing this. I just did Jenny’s Irish Change and redid the technique to make the chain block. It made more sense to me to make it as a 9 patch. It went together quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X