Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recreating design patterns?

I was looking at a couple of the requests for pattern names, and I started thinking.

I have always enjoyed mathematical analysis, and the challenge of recreating quilt patterns is incredibly enjoyable to me. I'm kind of an oddball, in many ways, so I understand if I'm alone in this mental exercise.

But I'll ask, does anyone else here look at a photo of a quilt and try to figure it out how they would piece it the pattern?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recreating design patterns?

No you are not alone for sure. I myself see patterns that can easily be recreated.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

3. Thanks Granny Fran, dwil23, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are definitely not alone. Shortly after I first started quilting and watching Jenny's videos I found myself pausing the videos before she started her demonstration, just so I could look at and analyzed the quilt to see if I could figure out how to create the block.

Now I not only look at images of quilts that way, but also so many other things, just last month I had on a pair of pajama pants that I thought, ooh I could recreate the print (very geometrical) of these pj's to make a really cool quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are in good company. I think for some of us, we enjoy every aspect of the design.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks dwil23, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made quilts that I saw in pictures and enjoyed the challenge. I am designing one on the fly right now, making blocks and will figure out arrangements when I have many blocks made.

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think that is my favorite part of quilting - the design and planning. I have never followed a pattern - usually get inspiration from quilts I see, and then make it my own. I love old fashioned graph paper and colored pencils. Some day I may venture into the work of EQ or a similar program, but for now, the graph paper is my friend!
    Donna

10. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have complete math phobia. I just do not trust myself to figure out anything mathematical and get the right answer. I have even cut up and taped newspapers together to equal measurements of my yardage and then I make cardboard templates the shape and size I need and trace them multiple times onto the newspaper to see if I can get enough pieces out. I admire everyone who can figure it out with just a pencil and paper, for me I just can't even decide if I should add or multiply or divide or what. It's a good thing I did not home school my kids!!!

12. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

always!! can't help it. doesn't mean I'm going to make it though. just have to figure out how it was done.

14. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do that all the time! For me that is part of the excitement of quilting, to see how patterns go together.

16. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I belong to a quilt group and one of the experienced quilters absolutely Loves to look then figure out how to make it. She uses graph paper and math. It is just amazing to watch her work a pattern out. I couldn't do it with a calculator, paper, and sometimes even with a pattern. I'm hopeless.

18. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post