Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Hello

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello

My first post here and yes I have been sewing since age nine ( doll clothes to start). I am older (50+)and was very lucky to have extraordinary women in my life that handed down many skills. Needles whether sewing, knitting or quilting, though admittedly only small quilt projects like baby quilts and hangings.

Things I most value and treasure, are a stack of sewing and old quilt booklets from the twenties and thirties that were handed down from a grandmother. The old handwritten recipe books, along with a old "Searchlight" magazine cookbook from 1935. It's quaint, and I am a bit nostalgic perhaps.

I joined you to find some answers to some things, and perhaps learn a trick or two about more modern ways. I like the old ways, there is something timeless about them, but I also live in a modern world. Not all shortcuts are good ones, but some can be if useful.

As far as quilts go, I still prefer utility quilts ( the typical pieced quilts) over elaborate ART pieces, but I can appreciate the labor that goes into both. I guess I am just far more traditional. I prefer hand quilting and like both the challenge and sense of accomplishment that comes from it. ( but you can bet I machine piece the quilt tops, before quilting).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello

Welcome from the Basque Country, I can assure you that here you will find many interesting things and if you have any questions there always be someone to answer you, as for the old methods here there are people who do wonderful things but modern techniques are also beautiful and you can see quilts magnificent, I hope to see you often and see some of his work

3. Thanks sewingsince9 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from sunny Florida. We love to learn and share around here.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Canada. I also started sewing young, and learned to appreciate quilts and to knit from my grandmother. Unfortunately I was 11 when she died, and my mom never had an interest in learning these skills. So I'm self taught. I also prefer quilts to use, not for show.

I'm certain that you will learn some nifty tips and tricks. The forum has many wonderful wuilters.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, and welcome, from New Orleans!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. Glad you joined us.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Wisconsin and it is nice to have another hand quilter join the group. I also favor simple traditional patterns myself. But I really enjoy pics posted by others here showing complex quilt patterns. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ohio. I, too, like the traditional ways and quilts. I have transitioned from small hand quilting stitches to big stitch as my hands cannot do the fine work anymore. I have 3 GD's and 4 great GD's and none of them want to learn any sewing/handcrafts so far.
    Ask any and all questions you have and someone here will have the answer or solution to your problem.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop