Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking at a new machine

I’ve decided it’s time to get a new sewing machine, one that does more than just go forward & backwards... I’ve been out looking at 3 machines,, Janome Skyline3, Brother Pacesetter 500 & the Babylock Lyric. Has anyone got one of these machines? What do you think about them? I would really appreciate any input you ladies & gentlemen might have.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking at a new machine

I don't have any of those machines. I'm still using my Viking Opal 670. My LQS quit selling them a few yrs. ago & went to Baby Lock brand. Parts were getting harder to come by. I understand the newer Viking machines are not made as well. I haven't a clue what I'll get if I ever have to replace this one.

Read product reviews on line. Many times there are demo. videos on YouTube for various models of sewing machines. Do a search to see what you come up with.

3. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I’ve had machines built by all 3 of these vendors, although not specifically the models you’ve referenced. Each one is great for what it does and mechanically sound. That is, think about a new machine by the features you want. A local vendor is helpful for service and accessories, but you will find all 3 at major quilt shows and online. Sewing machines are computers today, with programmable stitches and speeds, so it sounds as though you are making a step-change from the machine you have. Most manuals are easy to read and there’s always a toll-free customer service number to call. Good luck! It I hope you enjoy your new machine!

5. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the input. The dealer gives classes on Saturdays with a lot of individual help & the classes are free for my lifetime. They say you can call with questions too so learning a new machine should be relatively pain free. I am taking a big step up in technology with this new machine so you are right I guess i should be thinking about what features i want & what ones would be useful.
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about these machines, I am a vintage machine girl myself. I do own one computerized machine - a Husqvarna that I have never sewn a single stitch on!

What I have read, though, is that most new machines are made by one company.

I think in choosing a machine think about how you plan to use it. Are you planning on making garments? Bags? or just quilts? Do you plan to quilt your own quilts on it? For example, I only piece my quilts and prefer a straight stitch only machine - the narrower feed dogs help to keep the piecing much more accurate. I have no desire to sew garments or bags, so I don't need fancy button holers or a bunch of decorative stitches. On the other hand, if you plan to make dresses for little girls, you may want some of those stitches. I have friends who have spent big bucks on machines with all the bells and whistles and they just don't use those features. Ever.

Good Luck with whatever you decide :-)
    Donna

8. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input. I did end up buying the Janome Skyline S5. I’m having a lot of fun playing with it. It’s true that it probably has a lot of stitches I will not use often but the things I am using like the auto threader, auto cutter & needle up/down are really nice to have. I have a few appliqué quilts in the works so having the blanket stitch is nice too. I may even decide to do a crazy quilt & try to use all the fancy stitches.
    So far this is a lovely machine, easy to learn & beautiful stitches, both straight & decorative. Just in case anyone wonders, it cost $1,100 So not the most expensive machine around. DH husband said to go for it since this will probably be the last machine I buy. He’s such an enabler.... hahaha but I love him.
    Patt

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new Janome! I have 3 of them, with the 8900 my everyday workhorse. They are good, dependable machines.

12. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new machine
    Debbie

14. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I did end up buying the Janome Skyline S5. I’m having a lot of fun playing with it. It’s true that it probably has a lot of stitches I will not use often but the things I am using like the auto threader, auto cutter & needle up/down are really nice to have. I have a few appliqué quilts in the works so having the blanket stitch is nice too. I may even decide to do a crazy quilt & try to use all the fancy stitches.
    So far this is a lovely machine, easy to learn & beautiful stitches, both straight & decorative. Just in case anyone wonders, it cost $1,100 So not the most expensive machine around. DH husband said to go for it since this will probably be the last machine I buy. He’s such an enabler.... hahaha but I love him.
    I came to this thread late, and I'm so glad you bought the Skyline S5 instead of the S3. A Janome rep told me that they make the S3 so that they can compete with other online prices. In my opinion, the S5 is a far superior machine. I own the S7, and I really love it. I also own the Janome 15000, and I like the S7 just as well (of course, the S7 doesn't embroider, so I {ahem} NEED both)!

Congratulations!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

16. Thanks Quiltfreestyle thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Toni. I was looking at the S3 too but I decided that I could a afford a few hundred more & I knew I would later regret not getting the S5. We have lived our whole lives on a tight budget so splurging now, even when we can afford it is a little scary. But I’m so glad I did. I am having a blast with the new machine. I can hardly wait until the classes start in 2 weeks. Just seeing all this machine is capable of is inspiring me to try new things
    Patt

18. Thanks MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post