Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wool Pressing Mat Brand

I want a wool mat and am wondering about the difference in prices. If you have one, what brand is it? TIA!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wool Pressing Mat Brand

I got mine at Quilt in A Day, it was on sale I think $15-ish which was a good price. It is about 9x11 and about 1 inch thick. I usually make mostly 6 or 8 inch blocks so that size works for me. It does emit kind of a wet wool smell when using it but that doesn't bother me. I have a 5 foot high bookcase next to my ironing board with an old fashioned metal file sorter on top of the bookcase so I just store it standing up there to thoroughly dry out when I am not using it. It does get your blocks nice and flat.I have seen the same size mats for $25 or higher but I think you should be able to find one for less, maybe even at Amazon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine at a quilt show and I think I paid about $35. I love it, especially for flat seams and applique. After I had already purchased mine, I saw a tip from someone (on here? not sure) to order a wool saddle pad and it is much cheaper for the same thing, even bigger. https://www.statelinetack.com/item/m...ner/SLT901243/
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the tip about the wool saddle pad but some who ordered them complained about the smell when using them. Just thought I’d mention it FYI.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All wool mats smell when using steam. It's like a wet wool sweater. Smell doesn't bother me one bit.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My friend Bernie did a product review
    https://needleandfoot.com/2019/07/16...roduct-review/

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I saw the tip about the wool saddle pad but some who ordered them complained about the smell when using them. Just thought Id mention it FYI.
    I passed that tip on to my cousin, who ordered one. Boy was she unhappy when it melted to her iron..... it claimed to be 100% wool.

I bought two from QIAD when they were on sale and am very happy with them. I had also ordered a wool rug pad after someone, either on here or facebook, recommended them, but after the other fiasco, have been afraid to try it.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the tan 30" square wool saddle pad from Stateline Tack and I love it. There is no strong odor, and I haven't had any problems with it sticking to my Panasonic cordless iron that is set on "high". There is another pad on the website that is synthetic wool (acrylic felt). I would avoid that one.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    I bought the tan 30" square wool saddle pad from Stateline Tack and I love it. There is no strong odor, and I haven't had any problems with it sticking to my Panasonic cordless iron that is set on "high". There is another pad on the website that is synthetic wool (acrylic felt). I would avoid that one.
    That is where she ordered from too. I wondered if they sent the wrong one. I remember we looked at a tan one, but when it came it was a lighter color. Hhhmmm....
    Donna