• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grammaterry
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

remember when?

Remember when there were no cell phones...(pre 1985)...no computers....nothing portable we could take with us? Well, I just spent two weeks on the coast of NC with DH with a fishing pole. We did have the GPS...lol...rented a lovely cottage on the sound, had lunch out every day and DH cooked fish at night. We went to bed at 9pm because the tv and computer didn't enter into our lives and even the rain and wind wasn't a deterrent to just being together.
    Some of you pm'd me and granny Judy sent fabric for me to make a shriner baby quilt. When I left I took the sewing machine in for service under what I thought was the one year warranty. They cleaned it, put a new shank on it and charged me $160. They said it was labor. I was sure parts AND labor were warranteed but guess I was wrong. I had left them my credit card and had DD pick it up for me. I just don't think I feel llike argueing with them, probably just won't do business there any longer.
    Life is good, GOD is great. I'm a little let down this morning with all the things that need attention, but that will pass. We had a big bear visit the house while we were gone. DH set up the game cam in the drive way by the garage to see if anyone bothered us so we saw him try to tear down the bird feeder. He also pushed the cover in on the pool. THank goodness he didn't fall in. That would have been a nightmare to get him out and it would have destroyed the pool but it seems alright. Still holding water!!
    Leaves still on the trees...flowers still brilliant in the flower beds. Heading to the ponds to check on the fish. I have a chair that I've removed all the upholstery from before I left and cut out all the pieces that needs to be put back together. Someone called and asked for my FREE piano and maybe they'll take it. Yay!
    I'm going to go check the new posts and see what you all have been up to. Love you all.
    Terry
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC
  • cv quilter
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: remember when?

Been wondering where you are
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Granny Fran
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2014

So glad you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed your stay. Yes, it was much more peaceful before electronics, but I do so love mine.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

• pcbatiks
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

It sounds like you had a nice break from technology.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Cathy F
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

It sounds like you have a lovely time away, so restful and peaceful. Good to see you back Terry, you were missed!
          Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

Glad you're back...I missed you. Yay for your time away. My time is coming soon.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• GrammaBabs
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2010

Sounds like a fabulous retreat... you are right... Life is GOOD,, we just need to see it..
              Off to my retreat... the sewing room... have a craft fair on Nov. 2..
              The Hubs will be thrilled to see the dining room table cleared off...LOL GB
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Debbie Watters
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Glad to see your posting ... happy you are back ...

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

You're so right! God is good. Breaks from technology are wonderful, and spending time with your sweetie just relaxing is marvelous.

I'm so glad you had a great time away!
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• geegeequilts
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2015

Terry, glad to see you. GOD is good all the time! Glad bear didn't need rescuing. And I love you too.

Gina

Comment

• MaggieSue
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2015

Welcome back, so glad you had such a good time!!!

Comment

• Granny Judy
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2011

Yeah, we all need to take a time out every so often. I'm glad you had such a great time. Do enjoy the fabric and when I do some more cleaning, I'm sure I will have more to send your way.
                        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                        :icon_wave:

Comment

• sewbizzy
                          Missouri Star
                          • Feb 2012

I was so glad to hear from you....we sure did miss you...I'm glad you had a relaxing 2 weeks away...you deserve every moment of it....
                          Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

Terry ~ I wondered why I hadn't seen any postings from you for a while. Glad you had some time away. Maybe it's a good thing you missed the bear. Glad your pool is ok. The bears around here are on a feeding frenzy to get ready for the winter's hibernation. They warn people to take down their bird feeders, make sure all the windows & doors are secured, garbage is in bear-proof containers, etc. Don't leave any food in your car, & make sure your car is locked! The bears can open the doors & wreck absolute havoc on a vehicle interior! Some of our mtn. communities have problems with bears wandering the alleys behind the restaurants, raiding the dumpsters, etc. The bears get very bold. They're smart, too.

Enjoy home-sweet-home. Our flowers are done for the season. That hard freeze took most of the blooms. I do have some salvia that still has some purple blooms that the bees keep after, & there are a few snap dragons that didn't get frozen.

Now that "Remember When?" question could dig up a lot of memories! I remember party lines -- waiting to see if the ring was yours. The old black phones where the receiver hung on the side & was separate from the tall middle part that you spoke into, with a rotary dial only. We sure weren't bothered with robo calls or telemarketers then. I never had a cell phone until 2000; I'm still using that same flip open, pull up the antenna, phone! I still prefer a land line phone at home & refuse to use call waiting; it's intrusive.
                            Last edited by JCY; October 21, 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2015

I'm glad you had a nice break. I remember and love days without technology. Although not quite removed, we had no phone, except for cells and didn't even go near the TV.
                              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X