Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use a Sizzix or other fabric die cutting machine?

I literally just discovered there are Sizzix machines that cut fabric. I am totally interested in machines that would cut the normal 5" or 10" or 2.5" squares, plus I see MSQC has the dresden die as well. So much to read up on on which machine to choose, so thought I'd ask if anyone has one?

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone use a Sizzix or other fabric die cutting machine?

A few years ago I purchased an Accuquilt electric machine and I have never regretted it. I have severe hand and wrist arthritis and sometimes it's just plain necessary to let it do the work for me. I have some of the more common shapes, squares and strips. Be aware that there is more waste than if you use a rotary cutter, but to me it's worth it. I also starch the snot out of my fabric before I put it through the machine.

3. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the electric Accuquilt and a baby too. When I first started the cubes weren't available so I have individual dies that make up the 12 inch block. There was an event yesterday at the LQS and I added two cubes to work with them.

The baby is quick for small projects and easy to take to class if needed.

The concept works well for all levels of quilters. Take a look around their site for patterns and tutorials. There is an app where you can scan your dies and keep an inventory on your phone. Another on-line feature is available to help you plan your project and add your fabrics for a trial run.

Good luck!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

thank you, i figured there would definitely be more waste but with wrist issues myself, it might be worth it.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. I have the Cricut Maker but it's really labor intensive to cut fabric, but the Sizzix looks like it would be well worth it.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Accuquilt Studio II, and I love it. Incredibly quick and accurate; I can have 100s of pieces in 15 minutes that would have taken hours to cut by rotary. Many of the dies have the points cut off, which makes for more exact lining up of the pieces when sewing, and no bunny ears.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

great info, thanks!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the accuquilt go. It does take some cranking but I don’t find that an issue. I just cut out a flying geese border. Did all the pieces in about 15 minutes once I had my fabric ready. As someone said, there is more waste but in a llot of cases I am fine with that due to the speed.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I "share" an accuquilt Studio with a friend - she bought the machine and I have purchased some dies - including a custom one for cutting multiple sizes of strips (based on Bonnie Hunter's scrap users system sizes).

I have mixed feelings on it. I can definitely cut the fabric more efficiently (less waste) with my rotary cutter. In theory, the die cuts should be more accurate, but a little fold or wrinkle can throw that off. Is it a time saver? Depends. I think it could be if you are cutting lots of fabric at once - but it does take a bit to get everything layered properly on the machine.

I think you have to weigh the cost versus how much you would use it and also, as someone mentioned, if your hands will no longer allow you to use the rotary cutter it is definitely a good investment.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at the Sizzix and the Accuquilt is the dies. The Sizzix can use any die there is but the Accuquilt can only use Accuquilt dies. There is a difference in thickness of the dies. The Accuquilt is thinner than the Sizzix and was intentionally developed for them to only be able to use Accuquilt dies. To use an Accuquilt die in a Sizzix machine, just add one more cutting pad.

I have the Sizzix version of the Bigkick. I do like using it. And I think that I would use it a lot more if there was space for it to stay out all the time and not have to be put away in one location and the dies stored in another location. The other thing is after having used the Sizzix Big Shot Pro, it would be very handy to have IF you had a place that it could sit permanently as it is very heavy but has some great dies like bibs, strips, etc.