Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing basket or what

What do you use to carry your sewing supplies to class or how do you keep them at home. Thank you.

2. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing basket or what

At home I use a rolling cart with 10 very shallow drawers like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Class...1437264&sr=8-2

Each drawer is labeled so everything has a home. For example one drawer is labeled cutting, one is labeled rulers, one is labeled specialty rulers.

When I go to class I have a rolling tote for my sewing machine and everything else goes in a 6 quart snap lock storage container.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In my sewing cabinet, I have a drawer in which I keep my Bionic Gear Bag, nothing else. I keep my "normal"sewing supplies in the Bionic Gear Bag. When I'm sewing at home, I just Keep the drawer open to access those tools. When I'm heading to class, I zip up the BGB and have everything I'd need on a normal day.
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; October 18th, 2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

6. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fortunate that I have a room dedicated to quilting/sewing so I just try to keep everything corralled in that room. I use different baskets that hold rulers, scissors, rotary cutters, etc. I also have a 3 tier rolling cart that I keep near my table for quilting. It holds assorted thread, bobbins, muslin sandwiches for FMQ to warm up on. I also use a couple zipper pouches for things I use most often. For retreats or classes I have a bag that I got many years ago at a LQS. Its about 13x18". It has interior pockets on either side that hold rulers and my 12x18 mat. It also has smaller pockets that holds needles, scissors, spools of thread etc. It also has two exterior pockets that hold many supplies. I also have a checklist with this bag so I can make sure I have everything for a retreat. The handiest little sewing kit I have is a small tin (similar to a hinged Altoids tin, but smaller) It is just big enough to hold a small spool of thread (or bobbins), needles for hand sewing, a few wonder clips and a small pair of scissors. I use this for when I'm hand sewing binding. I just grab my quilt and that little tin and I'm good to go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't go to classes or retreats but I do ALOT of hand sewing. I keep outgrowing my containers and keep looking for the right thing but haven't found it yet. So far I have outgrown two actual sewing baskets (the kind sold at Joann's) and one open wicker basket. I keep my most used must haves in an open 6 inch square plastic bin but that isn't working out too well so I am following this thread and hope to find some good ideas.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I have sewing desk that I keep a LOT of stuff in. But I always have my bionic gear bag, and sew together bags at hand to take with me when I go to the retreat.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    In my sewing cabinet, I have a drawer in which I keep my Bionic Gear Bag, nothing else. When I'm heading to class, I zip up the BGB and have everything I'd need on a normal day.
    Okay, I'm intrigued. Will you post more info on your BGB? TIA!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bionic Gear Bag is a pattern by Sally Thompson. Since Craftsy turned in to what it is now, the pattern is no longer available through there. However after doing a quick search, she is currently selling the pattern on Etsy under her Craftsy name "Ripstitcher". You can also get the pattern and video instruction through her web site "Sew Like a Rockstar" There are free tutorial on you tube though to help you follow along.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

12. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post