• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Update On Dottie

We spent the morning with our vet checking everything about Dottie. First of all, she has dementia but there is medication for that. Her congestive heart disease has not worsened since her last appointment (recently). She has not had a stroke nor is she deaf. What she has is fairly advanced arthritis in her back, hips and legs. Her arthritis medication should make this somewhat better. She has gained a little over 3 pounds (10% of her body weight) which is not good. Tom thinks these things can be managed for a while longer. She needs to get regimented exercise once her pain lessens to strengthen her muscles and cut down on her food. We are willing to try anything that is reasonable if it gives Dot a chance at a good life.....just doubtful at this time.

Please continue to pray for Dottie and us when you think of us.

Thanks...Hugs, Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb
  • dwil23
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: Update On Dottie

Prayers for you all. It is so hard seeing our babies getting older. Sounds like you are doing everything for her.

(((HUGS))) to you all.
    Donna

Comment

• GuitarGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2012

I'm very glad to hear that you get at least a little more time with your precious Dottie. I feel like she is a member of this forum, too!
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

Barb you are all in my prayers, Dottie is someone very special in this forum and it is so painful when you see that his years cause him so many problems, but you give him all his love and she knows it. I hope you can enjoy it a little more

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

The new sounds somewhat promising. Keeping you all close in my heart.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• auntiemern
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

So sorry to hear about your precious Dottie. Hopefully she can get some relief with the new meds.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

• jjkaiser
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

Well I am so glad she will be with you a little longer. It is hard when they get sick like this and you want to spoil and pamper them with all the little little treats they love and beg for, but the little voice inside your head says NO the vet said she needs to be on a diet! I used to give my dog teeny tiny milkbone treats. You might try those.
              Jocelyn
              South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

I'm happy that she can get some relief and enjoy her time with family.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• bubba
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2013

I was thinking of her just the other day!! How old is she now? Yoda is 15.5 years old and some days, it seems he is on his last legs.

I'm interested to hear if the meds for dementia work. Pretty sure Yoda has it as well.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• pcbatiks
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

Been thinking about and praying for Dottie and her family.
                    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2013

My prayers are with you and Dottie. It's so difficult when they reach these later years. Carlie is going into her 15th year, she sleeps a lot now and yet occasionally has "puppy" days, also sometimes those far away looks. What signs of dementia was Dottie displaying? How old is she now?
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Monique
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

Barb you have a little more time with your precious Dottie. I have no doubt you will enjoy each day as it comes. Thinking of you.
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Ginny B
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2012

Barb, ((((hugs)))) to you guys as you deal with this stage of Dottie's life.
                          Ginny B
                          Levittown, NY

Comment

• Bubby
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2011

Thank you for your kind words. The dementia medication Dottie is taking is Anipryl (Selegiline HCL). She will be 12 years old October 27. Her symptoms of dementia were standing in one spot totally spaced out and not responding to our voices for long periods of time. She also began roaming all over the house all night every night and this is a common symptom of dementia. At first I thought she had a stroke that left her deaf and partially blind, but not so, thank God. Her other new issue is chronic arthritis in her legs, back and hips. For that she is taking Carprofen. She is also on Vetmedin, Lasix, Benezepril, Spironolactone (congestive heart disease) and SMZ TMP for recurring colitis (likely caused by her arsenal of medication). This is in addition to Nexgard and Interceptor Plus, her monthly flea/tick/worm medications. Dottie takes a slug of pills and all of them are extremely costly, but she's our baby and she's so worth everything we do for her.

Your continuing prayers for Dottie and us are treasured. Our wild child Westie, Sugar, is being so sweet and tender with Dottie. She has always loved Dot, even for the first year when Dot wouldn't have anything to do with her. They are inseparable now. We are leaving the door to Sugar's crate open at night so Dottie can join her if she wants and we find them cuddled up together almost every morning. This is such a sweet thing to see. Sugar and her kisses are good medicine for Dottie.

Thank you again, friends.
                            Last edited by Bubby; October 18, 2019, 07:30 AM.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2014

Such a sweet picture of Sugar and Dottie snuggled together. Prayers for some more time with Dottie.

Comment

Working...
                              X