Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Update On Dottie

My prayers are with you and Dottie. It's so difficult when they reach these later years. Carlie is going into her 15th year, she sleeps a lot now and yet occasionally has "puppy" days, also sometimes those far away looks. What signs of dementia was Dottie displaying? How old is she now?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb you have a little more time with your precious Dottie. I have no doubt you will enjoy each day as it comes. Thinking of you.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, ((((hugs)))) to you guys as you deal with this stage of Dottie's life.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind words. The dementia medication Dottie is taking is Anipryl (Selegiline HCL). She will be 12 years old October 27. Her symptoms of dementia were standing in one spot totally spaced out and not responding to our voices for long periods of time. She also began roaming all over the house all night every night and this is a common symptom of dementia. At first I thought she had a stroke that left her deaf and partially blind, but not so, thank God. Her other new issue is chronic arthritis in her legs, back and hips. For that she is taking Carprofen. She is also on Vetmedin, Lasix, Benezepril, Spironolactone (congestive heart disease) and SMZ TMP for recurring colitis (likely caused by her arsenal of medication). This is in addition to Nexgard and Interceptor Plus, her monthly flea/tick/worm medications. Dottie takes a slug of pills and all of them are extremely costly, but she's our baby and she's so worth everything we do for her.

Your continuing prayers for Dottie and us are treasured. Our wild child Westie, Sugar, is being so sweet and tender with Dottie. She has always loved Dot, even for the first year when Dot wouldn't have anything to do with her. They are inseparable now. We are leaving the door to Sugar's crate open at night so Dottie can join her if she wants and we find them cuddled up together almost every morning. This is such a sweet thing to see. Sugar and her kisses are good medicine for Dottie.

Thank you again, friends.
    Last edited by Bubby; October 18th, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Such a sweet picture of Sugar and Dottie snuggled together. Prayers for some more time with Dottie.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, I came to this post first thing & glad to know how your sweet Dottie is. Animals, specially dogs, know when their "family" is having serious issues. Sugar is living up to her name & it warms my heart to hear that she & Dottie are roommates in the mornings. How adorable is that. Money has never been an issue for our furbabies & I agree with you on that. Take care of "our" Dottie cos you know we love her too. Give her a extra gentle hug from Aunt Gina. I'll send you extra hugs for you & Jeff. Always keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs & love, my friend.
    Gina

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hello BRb— I hope Dottie is doing better. I know that this can be an emotional time. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Beth

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the update on Dottie. You know how I love Scotties, and especially Dottie. Praying that the new meds keep her comfortable for a long time. When our girl started showing signs of her age, our cat was her only companion. He was so loving with her, curling up with her, and encouraging her to play and keep active. He was so lost when she left us. Strange how animals become close.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get here so often lately but I'm glad to see the update on Dottie. I hope her meds can make her more comfortable. I had no idea that dogs could get dementia! I know she is well loved and will get the best care possible. Hugs to all of you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of Dottie and you. We love our furbabies.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*