Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Tiny Squares

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Tiny Squares

I'm cutting large hexies from a layer cake using the MSQC large half hex template. Love that thing. I'm left with really small triangles which I'm then cutting into 1-1/2" squares before dumping them in my scrap bin. But dang, cutting those tiny squares really bites. Any tips on making this easier? I looked for a die that I could run through my die cutter, but the only one I found was a $30 one from Accuquilt. I'm new at this so maybe some of you veterans have advice you can throw my way. Thanks!

2. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tiny Squares

I seldom use squares under 2" so I probably wouldn't cut the triangles into squares until/unless I had a pattern that called for 1.5" squares. If you do string piecing, those triangles might be handy to cover square corners of the foundation paper.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

4. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I would just store those little triangles uncut until I had a pattern or idea on how to use them. Then and only then would I cut them. And if you never got inspired or found a way to use them in a project, you could always just use them as stuffing in a pet bed.
    If they are all from the same fabric line, keep them together by putting in a plastic bag or small container labeled with what they are and from what in case you wanted or needed to match them up someday.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I take the "triangles" that have been cut away from COC circles, pair them up, then stitch at a 45 degree angle across. They can then be trimmed down into a HST unit. You have a different angle, but maybe you would do something like that?
    Donna

7. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all! This is great advice. I've sorted and piled up the triangles. Now they are staring me in the face and daring me to make something with them... LOL. Now I just need to figure out how to NOT have 6 different projects in the works at one time.

9. Thanks MSN, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    I take the "triangles" that have been cut away from COC circles, pair them up, then stitch at a 45 degree angle across. They can then be trimmed down into a HST unit. You have a different angle, but maybe you would do something like that?
    What does COC mean?

11. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post